Where to stay for one night in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry 2nd posting -i do apologise forgot to put Paris in teh first title. doh!

I have to go to a wedding in Vallery, France in May. As I will be flying into CDG early evening I have decided to spend the night in Paris before heading down to the wedding chateau on the train. I have to catch the train to where I want to go to from Gare De Lyon. On the night I stay there I would like to have a little walk around, something to eat and hopefully see the Eiffel Tower. My question is, how far away from the action is Gare De Lyon. Is it better for me to pick a hotel near the station for ease in the morning of the journey or would you recommend picking a hotel somewhere else and getting a taxi to the station? I don't know the name of the different areas and am getting confused with trying to pick a hotel to stay in. As i don't know the distances I am concerned that I may pick a hotel too far out from either of the places that I need to get to. Can anyone offer any help with any parts of my thread? Many thanks

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:58 AM
rex

It is indeed a big city with hundreds of hotels, and although I have been to PAris a number of times, I do not claim to know the right answer for all kinds of hotel questions. But I have had one good experiences using the website www.webscapades.com - - they have English speaking American operators on a toll-free line who can assist you and make a booking, in one phone call. Good descriptions (accurate in my experience of one) and good map, easy to follow, on their web site as they descibe different choices to you.

Might be worth your while.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 04:20 AM
ira

Hi C,

Go to www.mappy.com and look for the Gare de Lyon.

You will find that it is in the 12th district, on the 1 and 14 Metro lines and the A and D RER.

Next, go to http://www.ratp.info/informer/anglais/index.php
This will give you directions from the Gare de Lyon to anywhere else you would like to go.

You will also find maps of the RER and Metro systems.

I suggest that you take the RER B from CDG to the St. Michel/Notre Dame station. You will be in the 5th district.

Stay in the vicinity and take the RER or Metro to Gare de Lyon via the Chatelet stop.

See the Paris Superthread for more help.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34519236

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Rex -thank you very much for that. Will certainly have a look at speaking to those guys. Much appreciated.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Wow Ira -thank you so much. That is exactly what I needed! You are a star!
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:59 PM

Metro time from the western edge of Paris, beyond the Arc de Triomphe, to the Gare de Lyon -- a trajectory without a change on the No. 1 line -- is approximately 40 minutes, so your hotel options are very large.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 01:13 PM

I'd stay fairly near the Gare de Lyon, since you have to leave from that station in the morning. The other sites you might want to see are very easily accessible via Metro. We've stayed at the Hotel Lyon Bastille, which was a couple of blocks away and very convenient to the station and to all other parts of the city. It certainly would beat trying to get back to Gare de Lyon from some hotel in the 5th or other district in the morning rush hour.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 02:43 PM

You can see a map of the districts (<i>arrondissements</i of Paris at

<b>http://www.parisnet.net/parismap.html</b>

I've made an early train at Gare de Lyon easily from my hotel near the Eiffel Tower. And that was on the M&eacute;tro (Line 8 from Ecole Militaire changing to 14 at Madeleine) with numerous stops.

If you stay over by the Arc de Triomphe, the RER A from Charles de Gaulle-&Eacute;toile will get you to Gare de Lyon in 8 minutes.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 03:06 PM

Oh, and the #92 bus will get you from &Eacute;toile to the Eiffel Tower and back. Print the route map at

<b>http://www.ratp.info/orienter/tous_plans_terminus.php</b>

Pull down the list under <i>Lignes de 20 &agrave; 96</i>, select 92, and click OK. The nearest stop is probably Bosquet-Rapp, but if you stay on to &Eacute;cole Militaire, you will find a little cluster of nice restaurants on the corner. The walk to the Tower is about 10 minutes from there.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everybody. I can't tell you how grateful I am. Thinking of doing exactly what flsd says and staying near the station. Thanks guys.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:12 AM

From your hotel near Gare de Lyon, you can get over to the Eiffel Tower district from the train station by taking

M&eacute;tro Ligne 14 (Direction Biblioth&egrave;que Fran&ccedil;ois Mitterand) to Biblioth&egrave;que Fran&ccedil;ois Mitterand
RER C (Direction Champ de Mars-Tour Eiffel) to Champ de Mars-Tour Eiffel

To return take

RER C (Direction Choisy-le-Roi) to Biblioth&egrave;que Fran&ccedil;ois Mitterand
M&eacute;tro Ligne 14 (Direction Saint-Lazare) to Gare de Lyon