Where to stay Costa Vasca late May/Early June

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in this area for a week. Parador Honarribia looks lovely, but no pool. Will it be too cool for swimming? Better to stay further West (Santander or San Sebastian)? Break up stay? Really need info on this area. Also certainly willing to go into France. Planning week in Barcelona, Costa Brava, Catalanes first.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 07:46 AM

Hondarribia is really close to San Sebastian and has several beaches nearby (and France at just a couple of miles away). I don´t think that temperatures will be good enough for swimminig, though...this is not sunny Spain and it rains quite often. Weather is mild, never too cold, never too hot...but pools are mostly used in July and August.

San Sebastian is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, with three beaches in town, splendid views and architecture, wonderful gastronomy and small enough to go walking everywhere. In any case, public transport is very good in the Basque Country (and elsewhere in Spain).

Another good option in Hondarribia is Hotel Obispo.

Some info on aspects of Basque culture and places to visit in http://mugalari.wordpress.com, a local´s view on the Basque Country. And full info on www.maribelsguides.com.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. I found previous posts on this area. Just booked paradors in Hondarribia and Aiguablava (two nights each). The internet prices are excellent!! Booked Leon as well but it seems off our route. Will be going from coast to Madrid. Tried to get Amigos card online but has no listing for USA in countries. Did I miss something?? Two paradore questions left...Should I stay all four nights in Hondarribia (and do daytrips to San Sebastian, Bilbao, France) or 2 in H.. and 2 in Santillana/Santander???
Plus want to go thru Catalanes. What do you recommend for 2 nights, best scenery?? Finally, thinking of Colon Hotel in Barcelona and Villa Real Madrid????? We are starting in Barcelona and ending in Madrid, May 23 to June 6. Mucho gracias.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 09:21 AM

You should stay as many nights in San Sebastian as possible and do daytrips from there. I just went to Barcelona and San Sebastian recently and wished we had cut Barcelona short. Stayed in SS 5 nights and wished we could have stayed more. Santander is worth one or two nights as well. Stayed at Colon in Barcelona and it was really good, could not be a better location.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 09:31 AM

It will probably be too cold but you will see surfers walking with their boards on the streets of San Sebastian. Best eating town in Spain. You can walk the entire town in 1 1/2 day so plan on seeing and doing other things including eating at a cider house in the hills outside of SS.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 09:52 AM

I think that San Sebastian is a much better base than Hondarribia particularly if this is your first visit to the area. If you're dependent on public transportation SS is definately the way to go. I based myself once in Hondarribia versus SS and found Hondarribia much quieter - too quiet for me.

If I understand correctly you have 2 weeks in Spain. I'd definately limit myself to 2 main regions at most - otherwise it's too rushed.

With a week in the Basque country I'd definately visit San Sebastian, Bilbao, Hondarribia and at least one fishing village (Getaria, Lekeitio). If you have a car Gernika and the nearby painted Forest is a must. You could base yourself the entire week in San Sebastian or spend 3-4 nights in SS and 2-3 nights somewhere else for a change of scenery.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 04:08 AM

Another strong recommendation for making San Sebastián your base, I've returned almost every year since the late 1980's. Excellent time of year to go, summer is just around the corner and it's not too crowded. Great fishing villages along the coast towards Bilbao, had the meal of my life in the harbour in Getaria in 1996. The article "A different kind of Spain" gives you an idea of San Sebastián and the Basque Country: http://marshlands.blogstream.com/

If you're into food experiences, read the article "Is San Sebastián the best place to eat in Europe?" from The Observer:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...rink.shopping2
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kimhe. SS will be our base.
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 09:16 AM

Good choice. It's such a great city it's hard to get out and see the beautiful small towns and amazing beaches along the coast, Zarautz, Getaria, Zumaia, Lekeitio, all the way to Santander.
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 11:30 AM

This site is excellent about ging for pintxos (Basque tapas) in San Sebastián:
http://www.todopintxos.com/home/home.php?lang=en