where to stay Cahors area

Jan 11th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

where to stay Cahors area

Thanks everyone for your valuable info on lodging in Sarlat area. We have reservation at L'esplanade in Domme for 5 nights. Would like to move closer to Cahors and Peche Merle are for last 3 nights before leaving for Barcelona. We are considering staying 3 nights in St Cirq Lapopie at Auberge du Sombral. Has anyone stayed there recently ? Last review on Trip advisor 2005.
Also is there a restaurant there? One review says restaurant one says no restaurant.
Any suggestions wouyld be welcome.
Thanks

Jan 11th, 2008, 06:05 AM

Ch Mercues, just NW of Cahors is a lovely place...
Jan 11th, 2008, 06:37 AM

When I am in Cahors, I make it a point at staying and eating at CLAUDE MARCO: www.restaurantmarco.com. It is a restaurant and inn located about 5 miles NE of Cahors, in the village of Lamagdeleine. The kitchen enjoys a one Michelin star rating. The dining room is a lovely golden stone, vaulted cave with seating for about 30 people. Intimate, but not stuffy. I have eaten and stayed there 3 times and always found it to be a treat.
Jan 11th, 2008, 06:21 PM

We also stayed at Chateau Mercues. It was on the cusp of off-season and was very dead. The restaurant was closed. The rooms were extremely large, but very dated. It may have been suffering from the off-season blues. So, depending on when you're going, you'll need to check if they are 100% open for business.
Jan 11th, 2008, 07:28 PM

Oh God, please don't stay 3 nights in St-Cirq-Lapopie!!!!

To me, it's one of the most boring, hokiest places in all of France. OK, OK, spend a morning, an afternoon there, but 3 nights would be torture for me! Honestly. It's nothing but one boring little hillside of stores selling Chinese handicrafts, and the very occasional local artisan.

Yes, there's a restaurant there. It sucks.

Once you've gotten past the OMG the geography of this place is [email protected]! moment, it's all downhill with that town. Only place in all of France where I literally could not find a cup of coffee on a Sunday morning.

Don't do this.
Jan 11th, 2008, 07:30 PM

I should add, now that I've calmed down from thinking about what a horror it would be to spend three nights in St-Cirq-Lapopie, that Le Grand Hotel Terminus in Cahors is a gem, along with its amazing restaurant, Le Balandre.
Jan 11th, 2008, 10:18 PM
DAX

If you opt to stay in Mercues, I strongly recommend their restaurant. The food is excellent and the service is impeccable, just what one would expect from a superb French restaurant. It's very well staffed and they know what you need before you even think of it. We never had to ask for anything and yet they don't hover around you.
Jan 11th, 2008, 11:05 PM

Agree with the above. I found SCLP charming in September a couple of yearsago - for a 2 hour visit.

I can't imagine what you would find to do there for 3 days and it would be a pain to backtrack along the same road everyday (albeit beautiful scenery) if you went on day trips elsewhere each day.

Have passed by the hotel/restaurant St. Cirq recommends - looked excellent (located across from the train station) but can recommend La Chartreuse across the river. Modern hotel with a wonderful pool (though if I remember you will be travelling in the fall) and excellent classic cuisine. Ask for a river-side room, for its balcony and view. Street side is less expensive but the rooms are just as nice.

Jan 11th, 2008, 11:07 PM

Right on StCirq! I just can't see the attraction of the OTHER St Cirq- La Popopie

And I too am very fond of the Hotel Terminus in Cahors. Much nicer than it sounds, and cheaper than Chateau de Mercues or Claude Marco I suspect. Beautiful and very lovely restaurant, Le Balandre.

I unfortunately had a bad experience at Marco, where we were the only table in the restaurant, where obtrusively loud music was playing. We asked for it lower, and the waitress complied, but it just wouldn't go lower. Turning it off,our preference, didn't seem to be an option. I don't remember the food being one star standard that day.

If you are looking for a really great restaurant in that area, I would go the other side of Cahors, and eat at

•Le Gindreau 05 65 36 22 27. St Medard-Catus. (west of Cahors) but well worth the drive if you are a real food lover. A converted schoolhouse with a great terrace overlooking the valley. Inventive cooking, beautiful surroundings, attentive service, and an exceptional sommelier (wine steward) who looks like Peter Ustinov
Jan 12th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Ok Everyone. We almost messed up but then again thats why I check with this post before we reserve a room. Thank God I did. All of these places look great. The Chateau is a little above our budget for this trip. Claude Marco looks wonderful. The town looks wonderful. Also St Cirq-- thanks for your honest opinion. We loved being in the small town of Gordes in Provence as a base and thought that St Cirq la-poppie might be the same kind of town. I guess not!! We had looked at the Hotel Terminus before and thought it looked very nice but we were stuck on the idea that its a large city. We like to eat good food and I think it would be converient to return the car before taking the train to Toulouse and then to Barcelona. It probably won't be too crowded 3rd week of October. Is the Terminus in the old city ? It will be convenient to Pech Merle and other areas in the area.

Also we have friends from the Usa who stay in St Medard for Sept/Oct every year and we will be meeting them for dinner at Le Jendreau. Can't wait!!
I have trouble finding the direct web site to the Terminus hotel so I can book with them directly. I can only find Trip Advisor etc.
Thanks
Jan 12th, 2008, 06:57 AM

The site for Hotel Terminus in Cahors is actually for the restaurant.
http://www.balandre.com/
It's pretty much in the old part of the town - and Cahors isn't a big city by any means. We don't find it hard to drive in at all, and it's a very pleasant place to walk around.

Right across the street from the train station, and several car rental offices.
Jan 12th, 2008, 07:01 AM

Well heck, as you're going to be in the area, you can go on over to Les Arques and eat at La Recreation, the restaurant that Michael Sanders made famous in From Here You Can't See Paris. I had a lovely meal there a few years ago.
Jan 12th, 2008, 09:49 AM

Carlux:

Sorry you found Claude Marco to be unsatisfactory. I have always enjoyed my meals there. Odd about the music not being able to be turned down lower. In fact, I don't recall ever hearing music there.

I hope to get back to the area and perhaps even spend some time at Claude Marco later this year, around late September. Just in time for the wine harvest
Jan 12th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Langcraft: I loved the Claude Marco. It looks beautiful. I am just wondering if its a little out of our price range. we're going on a 4 week vacation (France followed by Spain) this time and thought we would try to cut costs by staying at a more inexpensive hotel. When we went to Provence we stayed at 2 lovely places in Provence. It's hard to try to save money.
Thanks so much for the information.
Jan 13th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

I have sent an email to Claude Marco . They have emailed back that they are closed until March 3rd. On their web site it states that they were closed Oct 20-24 th or so ( this past year I think). I don't know at this point if they will be open from Oct 22-25 th 2008 when we need a room.
Jan 14th, 2008, 04:00 AM

Nsalerno:

Claude Marco will be closed from Oct-15-23 in 2008. You could book for Oct 24 & 25th and spend 22nd and 23rd elsewhere, perhaps at the Hotel Terminus which is in Cahors by the rail station. Otherwise, if you want to try someplace in the area not far from Claude Marco: http://grangedemarcillac.free.fr/fr/index.php.

I haven't stayed here but it seems a rather nice place..

Good luck.
Sep 20th, 2009, 01:08 AM

Hello,

Our friends, who are from Auckland, did a trip around Cahors and stayed in the B&B "La Grange des Hauts". You can read their post there : http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...3260/tpod.html .