Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to stay before flying out of MUNICH (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-stay-before-flying-out-of-munich-683041/)

DAX Feb 26th, 2007 06:20 AM

Where to stay before flying out of MUNICH

We will already be staying inside Munich when we land, so on the outbound, we are looking for an interesting place to stay outside of Munich before departing from the J.Strauss airport at 11:40 am (check in 2 hours prior). We will be in Salzkammergut on the days prior to departing. We are hoping to stay in an interesting town that's within an hour from the airport. We can return our car at the airport or take public transportation (taxi, train, bus) to the airport. Regensburg comes to mind but we're not sure if it's within an hour drive to the airport. We also don't know a good hotel in Regensburg. Perhaps somebody knows an attractive town south east of the airport.

Bird Feb 26th, 2007 06:44 AM

DAX:

I would give Landshut a look. Convenient to the airport as well as some nice pedetrian shopping lanes. I'm not sure why it isn't more popular with travelers.

Ingolstadt is a place I would like to spend more time in. The Audi shop/museum is supposed to be interesting. Not sure about scheduling factory tours.

DAX Feb 26th, 2007 12:28 PM

Thanks! I will give Landshut a good research. In the meantime I just received the complete brochures from Regensburg in the mail. I have always been curious about Ingolstadt & Eichstadt as well, though they are a bit too far from the airport. Any other suggestion or more in depth info?

bettyk Feb 26th, 2007 02:09 PM

DAX, Landshut has been on my list of places to see for a long time. We are hoping to incorporate it into our trip in the Fall.

Take a look at their website:

www.landshut.de

logos999 Feb 26th, 2007 02:19 PM

I would recommend Landshut. there's nothing to see in Ingolstadt. Regensburg is a gem, but too far as is the Altmühltal north of Eichstätt, well worth spending a few days there!!!
>J.Strauss
The airport's named after FJS (Franz Josef Strauß). No joking about him, he still is the hero of the Bavarian nation...

DAX Feb 26th, 2007 06:14 PM

Thank you all for your recommendation of Landshut. We only briefly read the description on the Landshut website, my kids got a big laugh about Landshut's appeal for Jazzfans, Technofreaks and Discoqueens, simply too retro for my kids who listen to rap music. Good thing they are not going with us on this trip, so it's a fine destination. Hopefully we can stop in Regensburg even just for a quick look around.

Anyone knows a great hotel to stay in Landshut? Should we take public transportation or drive into the FJ Strauss airport? Logos: You mean the airport is named after the CSU ex-vorsitzender instead of the world famous Austrian composer? (LOL) I wonder if anything will be named after Stoiber after what happened, nothing in Berlin I suppose.

logos999 Feb 26th, 2007 10:08 PM

You should have seen his funeral, the horses, the golden wittelsbach carriage, the people crying, sigh. The best king we've ever had. And his face was on the 2 Mark coins after that. Yes, those were the days.
Try saying naughty things about him at a pub or Wirtshaus, you'll get a punch on your nose faster than you can imagine. ;-)

DAX Feb 27th, 2007 05:22 AM

logos: He must have been a good man bringing the CSU to its golden period. I was just making fun of my ignorance when I first learned of the airport name in the early 90's. Unfortunately for us who live in the US, we get a limited exposure to events/people beyond our borders especially back then before the internet. Travelling has widened my scope of awareness & interests.

DAX Feb 27th, 2007 05:25 AM

Anyone knows whether it's better to drive or use public transportation from Landshut to the airport?

logos999 Feb 27th, 2007 08:15 AM

Landshut to Freising is only 20min by train. Right at the station (on your left actually) in Freising there's a bus every 20 min bringing you to the terminal. Driving is easy too, it's all close to the Autobahn.

DAX Feb 28th, 2007 01:07 PM

Thanks logos. It seems that driving is easier.

DAX Mar 4th, 2007 10:13 AM

How long does it take to drive from the Strauss airport to Munich Hauptbahnhof on a Friday at 9:30 in the morning?

Some of us are taking the train to Vienna from the airport via the Hauptbhf. So we have the option of driving the car from Landshut to the airport to return the car there and drag our luggage on to the train into the Hauptbahnhof or if driving is not bad we can return the car at the Hauptbahnhof to board the train to Vienna. We've driven into Munich a few times just never from the airport.

TravMimi Mar 4th, 2007 10:17 AM

I just booked the Kempinski at the airport. I hope I did ok. I have such an early flight.

logos999 Mar 4th, 2007 12:23 PM

>drive from the Strauss airport to Munich Hauptbahnhof on a Friday at 9:30 in the morning?
It depends. between 10 and 11am is the best time. If you happen to drive down the Leopoldstr. then turn right onto the Altstadtring at Odeonsplatz, you can bet that there will be "longer periods of waiting" there. If you could leave the car in Freising or Landshut, there are rather frequent RE trains that go nonstop Freising to HBF faster than any car could and those will arrive at Starnberger BHF or even in the main hall, where you'd only have to change platforms.

DAX Mar 4th, 2007 06:41 PM

logos: In that case we should simply return the car at the airport and take the S bahn into the Hauptbhf. It's probably better to drag the suitcases than to struggle with traffic jam. Unless you know a smoother route to get to the Hauptbhf ? Thanks.

logos999 Mar 4th, 2007 09:57 PM

>drag the suitcases
There won't be that much draggging involved. It's only a short distance from the S-Bahn station to the the main hall. Otherwise you do risk being stuck in traffic.

logos999 Mar 4th, 2007 10:14 PM

Thinking of "smoother road", Dachauerstr. comes to mind. At Neufahrn, don't go drirection Salzburg but take the Autobahn to Stuttgart. In Allach, take the 304 into town but don't go all the way. After about a km (once you crossed the RR tracks) turn right to Moosach on Dachauer Str. (doesn't look like a major road there!) Then straight ahead until you're downtown.

DAX Mar 5th, 2007 09:58 AM

logos: Thanks for giving me tips on both options. I was actually thinking of dragging suitcases at the airport from the rental car drop off to the underground S bahn station, but it's better that than the traffic jam stress.

Castleblanca Mar 5th, 2007 10:25 AM

DAX, since you will be coming north toward Munich from Austria, anyhow, I highly recommend staying in Prien am Chiemsee. You have a nice little town, a lake, and a beautiful castle on an island.

The next morning you can drive to the airport in about an hour or a bit more.

Landshut is nice, but aside from the town square, well, it does have a nice river flowing through it. Visit it during its "once every ten years" festival. That's really great!

You'll have to drive past Prien and past the airport to get to Landshut (other side of airport from where you're coming from in Salzkammergut).

It's just a suggestion.

DAX Mar 6th, 2007 06:40 PM

Thanks Castelblanca. We're thinking of coming around Passau & Regensburg to get to Landshut. We have driven through Prien when we went to the Herrenchiemsee palace.