Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to Stay - Avignon Hotels All Full in July!

May 24th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Melanie

I am heading Paris for 10 days at the beginning of July and tought I would like to venture down to Avignon or Aix for 4-5 days. All the budget hotels that are recommended in Frommers, Fodors etc are booked. Does anyone have any recommendations? I won't have a car, but will be using bus/train so I would prefer to be in a major town, so any help with accomodations is appreciated. Thanks!

May 24th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Jinx Hoover

Melanie, we stayed at the Hotel Calendal in Arles and loved it. Arles is a much more interesting city than Avignon. The hotel is situated right in the Roman ruins and is air-conditioned. Double room with a view is less than $100. And they will even provide you with ice from the kitchen! Tel. 04 90 96 11 89 Jinx Hoover

May 24th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Sue

Just across the Rhone from Avignon is a little village called Villeneuve Les Avignon. I stayed at a little budget hotel there, called Hotel d'Atelier. The bldg. dates from a few centuries ago, and it is charming, as is the village. Try to get it on google. Villeneuve is especially nice if you have a car, b/c parking is not so much of a problem there. There is a very upscale hotel there, too, and a few good little restaurants. Good luck!

May 24th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Sue

Little more info on Hotel de l'Atelier: it's on rue de la Foire, and phone is:33 4 90 25 01 84. Fax: 33 4 90 25 80 96

It's a 2 star, but a real little gem, I think.

May 24th, 2002, 01:34 PM
PB

During the entire month of July, the International Theatre Festival takes place in Avignon and Villeneuve lez Avignon.... rooms will be hard to find. You might try the tourist office in Villeneuve to find accommodation:

www.villeneuve-lez-Avignon.com
PB

May 24th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Wayne

You could consider the town of Orange, not too far north of Avignon, and a nice alternative. Orange has the best preserved Roman amphitheater in the world, a beautiful Roman triumphal arch built before Christ, and is a nice town for just walking around. The Hotel Arene is centrally located and reasonable, and it has A/C. Also, about 10 miles northeast of Orange, there is the Chateau de Rochegude, a wonderful old chateau now converted into a beautiful hotel with a gourmet restaurant. Super luxury, but worth it.

May 24th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Harzer

Melanie!

The reason that Avignon is booked is that their annual festival is on from the 5th to about the 19th July.

Try a site called <www.openroads.com> which is in english and covers the whole of France plus other countries. But you'll need a good map to go with it, to find all the villages they mention.

Harzer