Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to stay around Neuschwanstein Castle

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be visiting the Neuschwanstein Castle in July and are looking for a place to stay. Any advice on Hotels in the vicinity of the castle? We have looked at the Romantic-Pension Albrecht but are not sure about it. Thanks for your input.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 05:14 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Kurcafe in Fussen. It was fine, but word of warning--no a.c. in it or most of the hotels in this area. It was very hot when we were there last June. But we still had a great time--especially on all the "luge " rides. Don't miss the extra few feet to climb up to Mary's bridge. it is worth it--this is where you will get your best picture!!
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Treble, Thanks so much for your input. We will check out the Hotel Kurcafe.

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 06:52 PM

What is your question about Romantic Pension Albrecht?
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 08:09 PM

I have seen several raves about the Pension Albrecht. I haven't stayed there.

We have stayed at Gasthof zum Schluxen (a farm b&b) in Unter Pinswang just barely across the border into Austria. Great place to stay and I understand you can hike to the castles from there but I have not done the hike.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:32 AM
Original Poster

RufusTFirefly, I was just wondering if anyone had stayed there and what the place is like? Thanks so much.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:13 AM

The Hotel Mueller (no relation) is located at the foot of the much older Hohenschwangau castle and has great views of Neuschwanstein. Prices are reasonable, rooms are spacious (many with private balconies), and the restaurant is very good. They have an informative website. I don't remember the URL, but a quick internet search should locate it.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:20 AM

We have stayed at the Romantic Pension Albrecht, based mainly on RufusTFirefly's recommendation, and were very happy. We stayed there for a night in May and had a nice, large room and a balcony with splended views of Neuschwanstein. The hostess was very nice and the breakfast was good, although her stove broke the morning we were there so it was mainly cereal, pastries, etc. We were very close the the castles. I definitely recommend it.

Tracy
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:05 AM

We stayed at Hotel Kurcafe in Fussen as well, but our stay was in the fall (October) so AC was not an issue. Nice rooms and a good secure parking lot. Located right in town of Fussen so easy to walk about and check out the shops and eating/drinking places. The breakfast that was included with the room rate was very good as well.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:17 AM

Another vote for the Muller. There's one review (negative) of the Albrecht at tripadvisor.com.

If you're just there for Neuschwanstein and maybe Hohenschwangau, I don't see the point of staying in Fussen. Staying close to the castle allows you to go early or late and avoid the crowds in July.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 09:12 AM

The website for the Hotel Mueller is
http://www.hotel-mueller.de/

Click on the UK flag for the English version.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 09:30 AM

Wow, I just read the review of the Albrecht that Mimar referred to.

I found it hard to believe that it's referring to the same place. I do hope the author of the review was just someone with a personal axe to grind. If not, it's a real shame as the Albrecht was one of the accomodation highlights of our trip.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 09:54 AM

I just read that review and I too am a little surprised. Each person has their own experiences, I guess, but we were pleased with our experiences at the Albrecht in May. Pensions are quite different then hotels. The Albrecht is in basically a very large house so obviously there would be no elevator. The review listed some negative qualities but at 67 euros a night you certainly won't be getting a luxury hotel.

We found the owner to be nice and friendly. She was busy and we had our own agenda so we didn't spend a lot of time chatting, but she was pleasant and very apologetic that her stove and oven broke while making our breakfast. Our breakfast included yogurt, cereal and various breads.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 10:42 AM

The stove was working when we were at the Albrecht, so we had eggs, hot cereal, meat.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 11:35 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Rübezahl. Great breakfasts. http://www.neuschwanstein-hotel.com/
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your comments. Now the hard part...making a decision!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:59 PM

Another vote for the Rubezahl. It sits in a meadow with gorgeous views of the castles, especially at night. Great food, too. It is, I must caution, somewhat more expensive than your other choices, but you will be able to splurge here for comparatively little money.