Where to stay after landing in Nice.

Jun 11th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Where to stay after landing in Nice.

We are flying into Nice in October and plan to spend about 3 days. Where should we stay in that general area? (We like nice hotels and good food.)
Any ideas for day trips? We like to walk and explore, and we enjoy seeing art, architecture and history.
Jun 11th, 2009, 08:35 PM

Hi Cindy: you said...(We like nice hotels and good food.)

I don't know any one on this forum who doesn't like nice hotelsand good food. But, this means different things to different people..and this forum is decidedly made up of uniquely different folks.

To effectively help you, we must know your rate range, please. Will you have a car? How far afield would you plan to go while staying the vicinity. For example, we prefer to stay in the nearby hills, others like to be in the heart of Nice, and still others like to be at one of the various beaches on Cote d'azur. At least answer these basic questions and I assure you that a wide variety of suggestions will come pouring in.

Stu T.
Jun 12th, 2009, 12:36 AM

Don't miss the Old City of Nice whilst you're there. Whilst the market is running. It's a bit touristy, but still very worth it
Jun 12th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Sheila!
Stu,thanks for taking time to help me,too!
I guess I should say that we like 4-5* hotels in most big cities, but I would love to stay somewhere with more ambience if someone can highly recommend an inn in the hills, for example. My husband is risk-averse, so I want to check out our options carefully.
We won't include beach sites this time because we are going in October. We'd love a view, though.
Regarding food, we like restaurants with local flavor for breakfast and lunch, and fancy restaurants for dinner.
Thank you again!
Cindy
Jun 12th, 2009, 08:28 AM

We spent three nights in Nice in May 2006. It's a very pleasant city. Here's my trip report, with a hotel recommendation, restaurants we liked, and activities we enjoyed:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34810691
Jun 12th, 2009, 10:15 AM

For our trip several years ago, see our phototravelogue at http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...g&x=0&y=-run25. If you are good for an uphill walk, Entrevaux makes a wonderful day trip.
Jun 13th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, for sharing. SemiMike, your photos (and captions) are fantastic!!!! I'm not going to bother taking my camera!
Jun 15th, 2009, 07:49 AM

cindy2:

If you're game for still more info, here's my 2006 trip report, and the pix to go with itpossibly the Provence and Alsace parts are of no present interest, but the first part is all Nice and Cote d'azur..perhaps some ideas for you and DH.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...l-may-2006.cfm

Pix that I could not include when I wrote the report...again, just click on any of the Nice, Cote d'azur pics you want to see and forego the rest if you wish, of course. Any questions, shoot away.(Click on "slide show" if you wish to see them that way)

Have a super trip Cindy!
Stu Tower

http://picasaweb.google.com/stuartto...enceBarge2006#