Where to stay 1 night in Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Venice for 1 night pre and post cruise (at least 4 star). Where to stay without having to spend all day getting to hotel on water taxi
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:19 AM

Do you know where the boat is docking (there are are couple places)? Are you worried about transporation time to/from the airport, or to/from the boat?

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

It leaves from Venice- that is all l know. I would like a 4 star hotel, that we can easily check into and spend the day exploring rather than the hassle of a water taxi with multiple bags (not a light packer. Not sure if it is easier to stay off the island by bridge
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

I should also mention that we are starting out in Rome for 4 nights, then Florence for 2 nights. Driving to Venice for 1 night then cruise, with final night after cruise in Venice
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:55 PM

Most of the boats dock near Dorsoduro. If you look at a map of Venice, you can see where that is. The boats dock on the side of the Dorsoduro that is away from the Grand Canal, not next to it.

Any hotel in the Dorsoduro will mean that you do not need to get a water taxi.

My choices would be La Calcina or the Ca'Pisani.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:00 PM

Ah. New information. If you are driving to Venice, you will have to park in the area of the train station. So pick a hotel near the train station, even though it means you will have to transport your luggage (no doubt via water taxi) to the dock the following morning.

And I overlooked the fact you said you wanted a four star. The hotels I recommended are only 3 stars. It may be some of the 4 or 5 stars have their own water taxis.

But if capxxx is correct and I am wrong about where your boat is docking (and that might be the case!) you really need to find that out before you book your return trip.

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:14 PM

A water taxi isn't much of a hassle--no more than a land taxi actually. And a water taxi will get you pretty much anywhere in Venice pretty quickly. Of course, it is expensive, but it's easy and fast, and, if your hotel has a dock, a water taxi will take you right to your hotel's door. Only about 20 minutes or so from the airport.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

So l should stay at a hotel that l like that is close to the sites and not be concerned with water taxi etc

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:22 PM

i would recommend the manaco & grand. its right near san marco. there is a vaporetto stop right there. if you are coming in on the train from florence, you can take the vaporetto to the hotel. we did it and it was easier than i thought. although i was there in november so much less crowded than the summer. i absolutely loved venice. have a great trip!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:22 PM

Have you considered taking the train from Florence to Venice? It's very easy and convenient and eliminates the need to rent a car for one day and then figure out where to return it, etc. (I assume you won't be using a car in Rome and Florence.)
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:31 PM

Madison--if the cost of a water taxi doesn't bother you, then I wouldn't worry too much about the exact location of the hotel.

If you do have a lot of luggage and the water taxi seems too expensive, then using the water bus (vaporetto--much less expensive than the water taxi) would be something more of a hassle and it is slower than a water taxi--depending on how far you have to go to get to your hotel.

Of course, the closer you stay to wherever your cruise ship will be docked, the less it will cost in time and money to get to and from your hotel. So if you could find out where your ship will be, it could help in making your decision.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

What is the typical cost range of a water taxi- what is expensive
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:02 AM

Well if you want 4 stars, you can probably afford the water taxi. Maybe 40-50 euros to San Marco from P. Roma.

If you are driving, you will drop off your car in Piazzella Roma (which is also next to the main docks area).

This area doesn't have a lot of 4-star hotels, but I found one (tadah): the Carleton and Grand Canal, is right where you want to be. I don't know anything else about it though.