Reload this Page >

Where to start our trip - South West or South East GB

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 09:56 PM
Susan

All I know is we've got the tickets and we're going to England in August, but so far I haven't been able to decide on where start after leaving Gatwick to spend that critical first night. Bath has been recommended a lot, but I'm thinking it would be wonderful to visit Kent and see Sissinghurst and my husband would be happy to visit Hastings where a rather famous direct decendent of his fought in the Battle of 1066. <BR><BR>Any suggestions for cozy, comfy, affordable B&B's in the Bath area and/or Kent? <BR><BR>Cheers!

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 12:13 AM
janis

It is a VERY LONG drive from Gatwick to Bath after an overnight flight and with serious jet lag. Kent and Sussex are wonderful and much more convenient to LGW. I would stay the first and second nights (or more if you have the time) in or near Royal Tunbridge Wells which is only about 20 miles from LGW. From there you can visit Sissinghurst, Scotney Castle Gardens, Hever, etc. All are within 30 miles of Tunbridge. <BR><BR>Then after you are over the jetlag you can drive west along the coast through Hampshire, the New Forest, up through Salisbury and on to Bath.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 02:00 AM
Susan

Janis,<BR>Thanks for your suggestions. I think we'll follow your suggestion - Sissinghurst is high on my wish list.<BR><BR>One last question though ... for our first night we'd like to stay in a really nice B&B or small country hotel - any suggestions?<BR><BR>

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 04:15 AM
JOdy

We have stayed in 2 lovely country house hotels very near Gatwick..<BR>Langshott manor which is less than 5 miles from Gatwick but very convenient for hever, Knole and chartwell and also Nymans Gardens and also a little further along, about 25 minutes from gatwick..Ockenden Manor, which is a beautiful elizabethan manor house wit a really good restaurant. It is in Cuckfield, hatwards Heath.<BR><BR>We usually stay with friends in RTW but I have seen a pretty country house hotel there , Danehurst.<BR><BR>You could probably find listings for all these at the RAC site or the AA site. the AA site is www.theaa.com

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 04:17 AM
JOdy

Sorry ..my typing leaves something to be desired early in the Am Thats. Hayward's Heath!

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Susan

JO,<BR>Thank you so much for the B&B suggestions. I'll check out your choices. Itinerary plans are coming together... finally! Since we bought the tickets, my life has revolved around researching this trip on the Internet! Maybe now, I can go outside and relax and dream - away from the computer!<BR>Cheers! Have a great summer!<BR>