Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to spend our anniversary - Paris or Amsterdam?

Oct 20th, 2010, 11:40 AM
TC
Original Poster

In late November, we celebrate 41 years of marriage. Where should we celebrate? The choices are Paris or Amsterdam.

DH has a meeting in Brussels (not one of my favorite cities, sorry). At the same time, I have a chance to make a quick volunteer run to Italy. Since these two things coincide with our anniversary, we thought we'd try to meet somewhere and celebrate. DH will fly in and out of AMS. There is a chance my trip could be canceled at the last minute, so we don't want DH to be stuck somewhere without me. If I should have to bale out at the last minute, AMS would be the best place for DH to be - he could work from there or easily change his homeward flight. We have celebrated our anniversary in both Amsterdam and Paris on previous years and love both cities.

We love Amsterdam -- the romance, the canals, the museums, the food.
We love Paris - for all the same reasons, except the canals.
I'm not a big fan of Italy, so we're interested in connecting there.

Sadly our favorite hotel in AMS has closed (The Canal House) and is being re-opened in an extreme modern style. Sigh! Any other hotels you might recommend that are comparable to that wonderful old canal house style? I want something a bit romantic, but not over the top. Its just not our style. In Paris we usually stay at Hotel Jardins du Luxembourg, but would consider another in the same sweet style.

Help!
Oct 20th, 2010, 11:42 AM
TC
Original Poster

Ooops! Meant to say -- "I'm not a big fan of Italy, so we're NOT interested in connecting there."
Oct 20th, 2010, 12:01 PM

Paris sound good, of course. Another idea, for something french but different, is ..how about a castle stay?

There have been a few reports here of people spending a weekend in a chateau out in the country. Could be a Relais & Chateau, or maybe something similar but not 'listed'.

Or...I stayed at the Bon Laboureur in the Loire village of Chenonceaux. Very nice inn, haute-cuisine.
Oct 20th, 2010, 12:14 PM

I am not familiar with Canal House, however,we stayed at Hotel Ambassade which is a series of joined merchant's canal houses
on the Herengracht. We recommend it and will return there on our next visit to Amsterdam. the only negative was that breakfast was extra. Wonderful location near many restaurants and the "Nine Streets.".
Oct 20th, 2010, 12:25 PM

why not try somewhere new? in November, if you don't like Italy [????? - not even Venice?] somewhere a bit warmer might be nice - Nice for example [sorry about the pun].

but if it has to be one or the other, Paris every time.
Oct 20th, 2010, 12:52 PM
TC
Original Poster

Thanks, Annhig. I know....I'm one of a small group of people who just didn't fall for Italy. We spent weeks in Venice and Florence and out in the country in Tuscany. Its just not my cup of tea. I would much prefer to go back to Provence. I think this time it has to be either Paris or Amsterdam, just because of travel schedules. Will check out Hotel Ambassade, Happytrvlr. Thank you.
Oct 20th, 2010, 02:08 PM

Ditto HappyTrvlr. The Hotel Ambassade is a unique hotel composed of old houses on the Herengracht. It is just a few minutes walk to the Spui and Spuistraat where you'll enjoy some interesting cafes and restaurants -- Hoppe, Cafe Luxembourg, Luden, Five Flies, to name a few.

Be dressed for chilly drippy windy raw weather. It helps to accentuate the cozy cafes.