Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Where to spend last night near Rome airport...

Where to spend last night near Rome airport...

Apr 16th, 2004, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Where to spend last night near Rome airport...

..But not AT the Rome airport! We have a 9:30 flight and would like to spend our last night somewhere within an hours drive of FCO. We will have already been to Rome proper and will be arriving from Radda in Chianti. Any suggestions for a charming, interesting or scenic spot to spend our last night before flying out the next morning? Thank you! Nina
Apr 16th, 2004, 04:53 AM
ira

Hi nina,

There have been posts about staying in the town of Fiumicino.

Try a text search.
Apr 16th, 2004, 04:57 AM

Try Tivoli, its about 30-45 minutes from Fiumicino.
Apr 16th, 2004, 05:16 AM

Good morning, Nina
If you remained inRome the last night and then by taxi or limo you would be at FCO in about 45 mins. If not as have done twice in the past stayued at
the Holiday Inn, Parco di Medici, which is about 10 mins and did have a shuttle bus to and from FCO.
If possible stay in Rome and enjoy your last night. Richard of LaGrange Park,m Il..
Apr 16th, 2004, 05:59 AM

We're looking to do the same thing. Have a 9:30 flight also back to Newark. Nothing interesting in the Fiumicino area, and do not want to stay in Rome. Looking for nice village and great last meal prior to the execution (having to depart Italy).
Apr 16th, 2004, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Great minds think alike.

When are you going? We're leaving for Rome from JFK on May 21 and returning home on May 31st.
Apr 16th, 2004, 06:31 AM

nina, we're not going until mid-September, doing the apartment thingy in Montepulicano with day trips to the surrounding area -- one of them will be to Chianti area.

I look forward to reading your trip report, if you do that sort of thing, to get some ideas for wine tasting and winery lunch.
Apr 16th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

"If we do that sort of thing"? Oh yes, do we ever...dh is a certified oenophile , just spent the last year putting in a gorgeous wine cellar and is always on the prowl for new and interesting finds...we'll be searching high and low, tasting wines, even if it takes us all day..or days...

I'll be sure and post a report. BTW, any idea on how much wine we can bring back with us?
Apr 16th, 2004, 06:59 AM

The duty on still wine is very inexpensive. I've never been stopped. I'm planning to bring back a case and whatever I can fit into my carry-on and my wife's carry-on (she doesn't know it yet).

I understand the wine shops have those cushioned boxes that you can put in with your checked baggage.

I had a wine cellar built 3 years ago since I dabble at making my own. I'm an oenophile myself but my wife doesn't drink wine. With all those bring-your-own restaurants in NJ, it's wonderful to have a designated driver -- she's good about it.
Apr 17th, 2004, 04:16 AM

Topping.

Search this Thread