Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to spend Christmas in Europe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-spend-christmas-in-europe-121804/)

Libbie May 3rd, 2001 07:51 AM

Where to spend Christmas in Europe?

We hope to realize our dream of taking a once-in-a-lifetime, one-year-long tour of Europe beginning this autumn. One big question is where to go for Christmas. I would love to hear of your experiences and suggestions. My husband is Catholic, but not much enamored of church rituals. I am fascinated by the history of the churches and old traditions. But I also like the idea of a Dickensian time in London, or a romantic time in Paris, or a hedonistic time at a nice, warm beach resort or ... <BR> <BR>So many choices, only one can be chosen. Please help us decide! Thanks, <BR> <BR>Libbie <BR> <BR>

Anna May 3rd, 2001 12:05 PM

The best Christmas I ever spent was in Innsbruck, Austria, but I would love any place in Austria or Bavaria. Snow and mountains, evergreen trees, sleigh rides, lots of music concerts, Christmas markets, gluhwein, all go together to make a perfect Christmas. There are many lovely daytrips to places like Neuschwanstein, that are overrun with tourists in the summer and virtually deserted in the winter. Just be sure you leave immediately after Christmas, when all the hoards of winter sports fans from all over the world arrive!

StCirq May 3rd, 2001 12:12 PM

One place that comes to mind is Strasbourg, where you could enjoy all the traditional Germanic Christmas festivities but also dine on French cuisine and absorb some French culture. There is a marvelous open-air Christmas market there, just like the big ones in Germany, where you can stroll at night and eat warm beignets and apple fritters and sip hot mulled wine and buy beautiful Christmas ornaments. Last time I was there it snowed, and with the market place all lit up and the intense smell of evergreen trees in the air, and a warm cup of hot chocolate in my hand, it was one of the most Christmasy scenes I've ever been part of. And there's plenty to doo and see in Strasbourg, as well as lots of lovely nearby towns.

Linda May 3rd, 2001 03:18 PM

Vienna and anywhere in Germany with their Christmas markets and gluehwein!

Libbie May 3rd, 2001 05:33 PM

These are great suggestions -- thanks! What about Santiago de Compostela. Has anyone been there? It's very different from Bavarian Christmas, I'm sure! <BR> <BR>Libbie

DSK May 4th, 2001 04:41 AM

I have to vote for London. <BR>If your husband wants a Catholic service you can find many Christmas Eve and day services. St. Paul's comes to mind as the one I enjoy

DSK May 4th, 2001 04:43 AM

Sorry, it posted before I was through. <BR>I was going to say that I enjoyed St, Pauls and Westminster but that there are others which are smaller yet just as nice. I know they are not all Catholic but beautiful sevices all the same.