Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to Return Rental Car after Highclere visit (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-return-rental-car-after-highclere-visit-1672519/)

annalynn Oct 4th, 2019 09:02 AM

Where to Return Rental Car after Highclere visit

I'm planning a trip to the UK wherein we will pick up a rental car from Heathrow, visit Cornwall and the Cotswolds, and then Highclere Castle on our way into London for a few days. I obviously would prefer to not return the rental car in London itself. When we've rented cars in the past, we usually return the car in the town where we are ending our travels, like Brighton or Bath or York, and then taken the train to London. Any suggestions for where to return after a day at Highclere? Basingstoke and Newbury are the closest towns, but I'm not sure if they are the best options? Returning at Heathrow sounds like it might be easiest, but I think the general wisdom is that its easier outside of the airport when possible? Any suggestions are appreciated.

MmePerdu Oct 4th, 2019 09:54 AM

Reading might be a logical place, good train service.

janisj Oct 4th, 2019 10:30 AM

Heathrow would be easiest. Reading would be closest - but driving in Reading is a beeeeatch.

MmePerdu Oct 4th, 2019 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by janisj (Post 16996113)
". . . Reading would be closest - but driving in Reading is a . . ." (whatever).

I suggest you make the decision when choosing your rental company, if you haven't already, research the actual location in Reading or wherever you decide. I've noticed some agencies moving to the outskirts of town, or to industrial estates where you won't be driving into the town traffic, Salisbury is an example where mine was in a light industrial area still walking distance from the station. You may need to take a taxi to the station in some cases but I'd rather do that than use Heathrow. I realize the Oracle prefers Heathrow, always recommends it, but some of us would do anything else. Just check your location options before you make a decision and choose what's best for you overall.

annalynn Oct 5th, 2019 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by MmePerdu (Post 16996125)
I suggest you make the decision when choosing your rental company, if you haven't already, research the actual location in Reading or wherever you decide. I've noticed some agencies moving to the outskirts of town, or to industrial estates where you won't be driving into the town traffic, Salisbury is an example where mine was in a light industrial area still walking distance from the station. You may need to take a taxi to the station in some cases but I'd rather do that than use Heathrow. I realize the Oracle prefers Heathrow, always recommends it, but some of us would do anything else. Just check your location options before you make a decision and choose what's best for you overall.

MmePerdu, why would you do anything else over Heathrow? The one thing I might like about returning to the airport is that there are signs pointing the way.

janisj Oct 5th, 2019 09:53 AM

Don't know why Mme was so snarky -- I said absolutely nothing to 'dis' her suggestion. Reading IS the closest however IMHO LHR would be easiest. One isn't better than the other necessarily. One advantage to LHR is that all of the majors are all there at the same location so it really doesn't matter which company you decide on.

MmePerdu Oct 5th, 2019 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by annalynn (Post 16996484)
MmePerdu, why would you do anything else over Heathrow? The one thing I might like about returning to the airport is that there are signs pointing the way.

Signs pointing the way are as good a reason as any to go there. I just don't like getting into the heavy city motorway traffic & what happens if I miss an exit or a turn. Smaller cities can have traffic, certainly, but easier to return in case of a mistake. So "anything else" I find less unnerving and tho I've used Heathrow in the past, I just don't anymore. Given a choice, the truth is I prefer small towns & countryside for everything or as small as practical for picking up & returning cars & getting on trains.

MmePerdu Oct 5th, 2019 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by janisj (Post 16996490)
Don't know why Mme was so snarky -- . . .

Mme was so snarky because of the inevitability of you, never not there, a fingernail on a blackboard. Sometimes easier to ignore than others.

Macross Oct 6th, 2019 05:45 AM

We sometimes go to the first destination by train and pick up car. Reading or Basingstoke would both be good options. Not sure of your first night's accommodation or if it is even close to a train station. If we are worried about jet lag it helps and usually, it is early to check into an apartment or hotel if we arrive on an early flight. I have no clue where you are flying from though.