Reload this Page >

Where to rent a car in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Lisa

We will be in Paris for several days, then plan to rent a car to tour the Loire Valley. I'm a little perplexed about where to rent a car. We are staying at Hotel Aiglon, 232, Bd. Raspail, in the 14th Arr. The hotel is located right across from the Raspail metro stop.<BR><BR>Does anyone know of a car rental place nearby? Or is it advisable to rent at a RER station?<BR>

Old May 10th, 2002, 05:35 AM
elle

There is a Europcar franchise right behind Gare Montparnasse. I believe there are other major rental agencies near the station as well.<BR>

Old May 10th, 2002, 05:53 AM
Helen

One option to consider is taking the RER to a station on the outskirts of Paris where you can then rent a car and find your way to the Loire Valley without all the headaches of city driving and navigation. Many smaller stations have auto rentals.

Old May 10th, 2002, 07:19 AM
lisa

Thanks for your suggestions. Is Europcar reliable? I've never used them before -- only autoeurope.

Old May 10th, 2002, 08:25 AM
NobodyImportant

Lisa asked:<BR>Is Europcar reliable? I've never used them before -- only autoeurope.<BR><BR>We reserve with broker AutoEurope, and when we reserve pick up at Gare Montparnasse, they usually assign us to EuropCar. They've always been there when we arrived. Remember to ask when you pick up the car if they ever close early on whatever day you're scheduled to return the car. I've been told that they will close an hour early if no returning cars are expected, so keep that in mind. So far, no problems with either AE or EC.

Old May 10th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Louis

Europcar is the European brand of National Rent-a-car. I have used them many times. Never had any problems. They have an office at Gare Montparnasse, close to Bd. Raspail. To get out of central Paris, follow signs to "Porte de Versailles" or "Porte d'Orl&eacute;ans" or "Porte d'Italie". All will get you to "Bd. P&eacute;riph&eacute;rique", the ring road around Paris.<BR><BR>Bon Voyage!

Old May 10th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Andre

Lisa,<BR><BR>As several posters have mentioned, Montparnasse station is the best choice for car rental. If you really don't want to face city traffic, take the Orlybus from Place Denfert Rochereau (1 stop by metro) to the Orly airport and rent there.<BR><BR>Regardless of which location you use, all the european majors are present:<BR>Avis<BR>Budget<BR>Europcar (not linked to National anymore)<BR>Hertz<BR>National<BR>Sixt<BR><BR>All of these companies are fine - shop around. A lot of people on this forum claim to get the best rates through AutoEurope (a broker).<BR><BR>Hope this helps.<BR><BR>Andre