Reload this Page >

Where to rent a car for Tuscany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 07:06 PM
Julie

I plan to spend 3nights in Venice, then 5 more nights in Tuscany (Siena, San Gimignano, Cortona, get lost in small hill towns, hike, etc.) I'd like to rent a car, but have heard from this board that downtown florence is a nightmare (too difficult to drive out of). Should I rent in downtown Venice? Should we train to bologna and get the car there? I'm looking at the Kemwel website and it seems these are my options. Suggestions?

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 01:27 AM
wendy

Julie~ <BR> <BR>I do this trip quite often, and what you hear about Florence is true. I have no problems driving in Europe, but renting a car in Florence is a total inconvenience. <BR> <BR>Rent the car from Venice, try www.autoeurope.com and enjoy some scenery before you even arrive in Tuscany. I usually get a rate of $250-300 for 7-9 days from Venice at autoeurope. You rhotel on venice can have your bage deleivered to the rental agency on the Northwest edge of the city.Th drive to Florence takes about 2 1/2 hours (depending on how fast you drive vs. number of stops you make.) It is an easy drive! <BR>I prefer this to a restrictive train ticket and it really is less hassle than getting to Bologna by train, and renting there etc.... <BR>Let me know! <BR>Wendy

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 05:23 AM
RJD

I have noticed that Wendy offers many helpful suggestions on this board, so it is with some trepidation that I disagree with her. I have rented a car in Florence 3 or 4 times. The rental agencies are all along the river in the northwest, near the edge of the city. With a little advice from the rental agency and a decent map, I've never had any trouble getting out of town to go South to Siena, etc. <BR>Although, renting in Venice seems like a good idea too, except that you may have to pay a one way rental charge if you don't return the car to Venice. <BR>

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 04:39 PM
wendy

I only meant driving WITHIN DOWNTOWN Florence is a nightmare (as posted). If the only alternative is to take a train to Florence, and stay without a car, then take a taxi to the care rental agency on the outskirts of town...then driving OUT of Florence is no problem. <BR>Good luck!

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 05:01 PM
Dayle

We trained to Siena & rented our car there. We drove all over Tuscany & Umbria, dropped the car in Orvieto, then continued by train to Santa Margherita Ligure. It was a breeze...

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 05:07 PM
laurie

I'm with wendy on autoeurope. Good company, and allows you to pick up one place, and drop another with no extra charges. As for me, I'm into changing modes of travel as infrequently as possible, so if it were me and I were in Venice, I would rent in Venice and drive toI was leaving the country from. If that is Rome, then drop at the Rome airport. If it is Milan, likewise. Usually, driving into and out of airport locations is easy.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 05:39 PM
sandi

If you rent in Florence, Avis has an office on the outskirts of town so you don't have to drive in town at all. We used AutoEurope and picked it up at 128R via Borgognissanti right next to the river. Just cross the bridge and you're out of the city. Very easy.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 09:52 PM
terri

I realize the cost is prohibitive for a long stay, but I MUST have an automatic for those hilltowns in Tuscany and Umbria. Any other city besides Florence where automatics are available? HELP! Would appreciate all suggestions. Thanks. Terri.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 01:22 AM
wendy

Terri~ <BR>You aren't alone in your search...I know several people at the moment looking for an automatic. The hills aren't THAT extreme and I prefer using the manual to getting up those hills easier. But everyone is different. Let us know where and when you find one! <BR>Good luck- Wendy

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 02:28 AM
Rex

Terri: <BR> <BR>I'm not sure what is the total context of your saying that you MUST have an automatic - - are other people depending on you as the sole available driver? what will be the consequences of you NOT getting an automatic? At the risk of seeming insensitive, might it be that you have only one leg? Do you have a plan B? <BR> <BR>I have heard too many stories of people having an automatic RESERVED, only to get there and be told that "sorry, we have no automatics this week" - - AT ANY PRICE. And depending on the time of year, you could hear this as you traipse from car rental counter to another. <BR> <BR>I don't know how much you are spending on this trip (for yourself, and how many others are traveling with you, spending how much as well) - - but I strongly urge you - - go buy a $500 junker with a manual transmission NOW, or a month before your trip. Drive it everyday for a month. Chances are, it will cost you very little (taxes, title, your time) once you factor in what you get back when you sell it. <BR> <BR>This will be worth a ton in peace of mind, and most likely in actual car rental expense. <BR> <BR>And then, if you still get the automatic you're hoping for, just think how good you'll feel - - about having prepared yourself for the alternative. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 03:39 AM
sally

Julie: We HAD an automatic when we were in Tuscany and were so SORRY we hadn't gotten a manual!!! The hills almost demand it! So if you can now drive a manual, reserve one; otherwise, I agree with Rex--learn how so you'll be prepared. Also picked up car on river in Florence, and, as everyone else has said, it was very easy to get out of Florence and onto road to Tuscany. Have fun!

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Julie

Thanks for your advice, everyone!! I think I'd like to take the train from Venice to Florence, bus to Siena (day trip to San Gimigniano), then rent a car in Siena for 2-3 days driving the hill towns, since I hear it is a pain parking near Siena/San Gim. I hear Avis will rent in Siena.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Brooke

Hello everyone. I also am wanting to rent a car to drive from Florence through Tuscany, but am just beginning my research on where to go in the Tuscany region. It will be in September. We want to definitely "take it all in" and tour the wineries, stay in small towns, get to know the Italian people and possibly stay at families' farm houses? (I think I've heard of that on this board). Does anyone have any suggested Tuscany itenarary? Where to stay? What wineries to visit? What route? Julie, what is the route you're taking? Any help would be great. Thanks!