Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to purchase all the train tickets (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-purchase-all-the-train-tickets-496039/)

wwwmarge Jan 17th, 2005 09:05 AM

Where to purchase all the train tickets

We are traveling from April 22 to 29. I will purchase our Genoa to Rome tickets on line. Should I get the rest of our tickets at the Genoa or Rome station? Or is it easier to get them from a travel agent if I can find one.

Do all tickets need to be purchased 3 hours in advance? Any other help will sure be of help. I hope we can find the tracks to get on the train in Genova Piazza Principe station. Thanks Marge

ChevyChasen Jan 17th, 2005 09:40 AM

3hrs? no you just walk into the station and take your place in a line to one of the many cashiers.if you are more adventurous you can use the compuetised ticket machine. buy your ticket and then hop on the next departing train or whichever you fancy.if your caught without the right *validated* ticket on the train you will be fined.ask for assitance to find the platform from a trenitalia employee.

clevelandbrown Jan 17th, 2005 09:48 AM

I usually just buy the tickets for our next leg when we arrive at the station on this leg. I'm told that travel agents sell tickets, but I don't like to take the time looking for a travel agent, or making an extra visit to the train station, for that matter, when there are better things to do. On occasion we have not been certain of the time and date we will be entraining, and I have been able to buy tickets at the station for the next train, which has been well within three hours (15 minutes, once). I don't like to buy tickets on-line as the prices and fees make them more expensive, and I never trust the airline to get us there on time for a specific train. There are, however, some special trains (the chunnel, for example), where you get quite a discount by buying well in advance.

Enjoy your trip.

It does take some experience to find the right track, and the right car, but I have had good luck with asking people if I am at the right place.

WillTravel Jan 17th, 2005 09:59 AM

Personally I would wait until I got to the train station if there are a reasonable number of trains going from Genoa to Rome and you aren't on a tight schedule.

On New Year's Eve going from Venice to Florence, I didn't get my first choice of train when I turned up about 30 minutes prior to its departure and had to wait a little longer. No big deal if there are a fair number of trains leaving all the time.

In Florence I was able to go to a special ticket window that is for tickets for trains departing in less than 15 minutes. I got the ticket to Rome for the same price as I would have if I had bought it any other time.

Patrick Jan 17th, 2005 10:31 AM

After taking my number at the Rome station for buying future date train tickets and waiting nearly an hour to only move up a few spaces in line, I realized I'd be there for hours. With better things to do, I passed by a travel agency with a Trenitalia sticker on their window and bought the rest of my tickets there for the same cost. And yes, they also knew about the Saturday specials, and even advised me of a two for one special on a non Saturday route I didn't know about. So it was not only quicker and easier, but it also saved me money.

Lines at the Venice station were even worse for "future travel". So it depends on what station you are in as to how easy it is to buy tickets.

SusanP Jan 17th, 2005 11:17 AM

I've read plenty of times about people buying their tickets from a travel agent in Rome. Is there a travel agent in Venice to do the same thing that is convenient? I'll be staying in San Marco. Thanks.

bobthenavigator Jan 17th, 2005 11:21 AM

Yes, AMEX is just north of San Marco and very convenient.

SusanP Jan 17th, 2005 11:25 AM

Thanks, Bob. Do you know the street address?

ira Jan 17th, 2005 12:55 PM

Hi marge,

>I will purchase our Genoa to Rome tickets on line. <

If all of your travel is in Italy or from/to Italy, why not buy everything possible on line?

If you will be taking local trains that are not available online, you can buy them at the first train station you come to.

It helps to have all of your requirements printed out in caps, eg

FIRENZE/ VENEZIA SL Sept 22
Train time 10:38
Train number ES* 9464

((I))

rickandpat Jan 17th, 2005 01:10 PM

I'm going to Italy for the first time this spring, and I have found the Slowtrav site to be very helpful (www.slowtrav.com). Under the Italy section, they have a lot of info. on train travel, including the different types of trains, how to purchase tickets, how to read your tickets, how to find the correct platform, etc. Having this basic info. has made me feel more secure about transportation for our vacation.

LoveItaly Jan 17th, 2005 02:23 PM

SusanP, the last time I saw the AMEX office in Venice you got to it by walking from the Piazza San Marco (with the Piazza and the church at your back, and keep going straight (the Grand Canal would be on your left but one block over), and the AMEX office was on your right, at or near the side canal from the Grand Canal.

Or, just ask your hotel in Venice, they will be able to tell you and will no doubt have a map to give you also.

Boodja Jan 17th, 2005 04:53 PM

The address for the American Express is 1471 San Marco, west of the Piazza. The office is on Salizzada da San Moise, just off Campo San Moise.

Lily Jan 17th, 2005 05:29 PM

Patrick - Do you need to purchase tickets in advance for the Saturday special? I understood it's only 29 Euros if you travel on Saturdays from Rome to whereever? Do you know if this is an ongoing special or time limited?

suntravler Jan 17th, 2005 07:20 PM

Unless I am mistaken, I thought I had read that AMEX no longer sells train tickets. Is there someone who has recent information on this?

SusanP Jan 17th, 2005 07:25 PM

Thanks to LoveItaly and Boodja for that location information. But if anyone can confirm what suntravler is saying about AMEX not selling train tickets anymore, I'd obviously like to know! Thanks.

Patrick Jan 17th, 2005 07:33 PM

Lily, you might want to search and read GAC's posts regarding those. This summer you had to book ahead and there were limited numbers available, but I think that may have changed. GAC's posts explain it all.

suntravler Jan 17th, 2005 07:37 PM

SusanP...I have rechecked a 2005 guidebook that says AMEX DOES sell train tickets MOn - Fri 9:00-17:30.

It also lists a travel agency: Kele & Teo Viaggi e Turismo Mon - Fri 8:30 - 19:00 and Sat 9:00 - 12:00...located at Ponte dei Bareteri on the Mercerie midway between Rialto and St. Mark's Square.

Hope this book is accurate. Enjoy your trip.

wwwmarge Jan 18th, 2005 06:44 AM

To All: Thanks for the help. Ira great idea on printing the info. Maybe I will buy all on-line.

I had gotten the info on the 3 hrs from GAC sometime ago. Marge

wwwmarge Jan 18th, 2005 06:50 AM

I didn't realize this. Is it that much more from Trenitalia? Marge

from clevelandbrown....
"I don't like to buy tickets on-line as the prices and fees make them more expensive"

ira Jan 18th, 2005 07:03 AM

Hi marge,

Buying online from www.trenitalia.com/en costs exactly the same as buying the ticketsat the train station in Italy.

Choose the ticketless option.

You will get a confirmation. For the ES* this is your ticket.

For other trains, you bring your confirmation AND the credit card you used to purchase your ticket to the train station and get a ticket.

((I))