Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to propose in Europe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-propose-in-europe-1168256/)

jerinzachariah87 Dec 15th, 2016 02:12 PM

Where to propose in Europe?

I'm horrible at planning something like this and don't know Milan well at all, but I would like to make the moment special. Any ideas?
I am flying into Millan in February. I want to have a very romantic and private proposal. The weather plays a huge part because half the flowers are probably dead that time of the year. We were planning a day trip to either Switzerland, Venice & Lake Como. I don't know where to ask her the question! These are my ideas so far.
1)Take a train tour from Milan to Switzerland and ask her the question either on the train station or specific scenic location.
2) Do a day trip to Lake Como and find a romantic place to ask her the question. Only thing I am disappointed about is, it wont be so scenic like it would be during the summer time. =/
3)Go to Venice and do it somewhere near the canal.
4)Do it some where romantic in Milan. Maybe on top of Duomo

I was going to get a photographer and wanted to know if anyone has any recommendation.

A little about us: We both LOVE food and sports. We both work in the medical field. We travel a-lot and is the favorite part of traveling is exploring and trying different food. We enjoy concerts. Thats about sums us up. haha
Any suggestions and advice would help!

PalenQ Dec 15th, 2016 02:34 PM

What if she refuses?

travelhorizons Dec 15th, 2016 02:44 PM

February weather could be inclement.

Maybe if you get tickets for The Last Supper (and your photographer), you could propose in front of that classic work of art in Milan. There are twelve at a time for 15 minutes, so it won't be totally private, but it would be a classic proposal.

If you want exclusive access to someplace, perhaps after hours, you could contact IC Bellagio (http://www.icbellagio.com). They could also have some creative ideas.

Gretchen Dec 15th, 2016 03:05 PM

Venice--somewhere

DS did it at the top of Eiffel Tower on a rainy night==so don't let weather deter you

DO NOT take a trip to do it. Make it "happen" where you are. Go "home" and have a toast.

janisj Dec 15th, 2016 03:33 PM

Why did you pick Milan? It must have been for some reason.

Venice is not a day trip from Milan -- it is 4+ hours each way. And you say Venice AND Lake Como as a day trip.

Feb is winter -- even in Italy, and especially in northern Italy, so maybe not some outside location nor on a day tour where you might be stuck out in the elements.

J62 Dec 15th, 2016 04:15 PM

How about a little chapel in the 500 year old cathedral, where generations of her ancestors were all married, dating back to the mid 1500's?

Worked for me...

BigRuss Dec 15th, 2016 04:31 PM

Go public and go big - in front of the Duomo at night.

We saw a proposal @ Parc Guell in Barcelona and she said yes. I volunteered to help them start off their family by giving them our kids . . .

nytraveler Dec 15th, 2016 06:40 PM

If some idiot brought a photographer to a proposal to me I would probably fly straight home.

This should be about the 2 of you - private and romantic - not a public display. And forget all of this planning, when the moment is right you will know.

(Caveat: Unless you know that she wants some sort of big production for this - I would find it mortifying. Oh - and any proposal in which you are actually asking without knowing the answer in advance is not even to be considered.)

kja Dec 15th, 2016 09:16 PM

IMO: Definitely nix the photographer!

WoinParis Dec 15th, 2016 10:50 PM

A photographer has no more his place for a proposal than at the maternity during delivery.

I would do it in Venice and outer.

J62 Dec 16th, 2016 02:29 AM

The thought of proposing in front of the Last Supper sounds quite interesting. Odd but interesting.

Remember the dialog.
"Tomorrow one of you guys will betray me, sending me to my death. And if that's not enough, another one of you will deny you even know me..."

Perfect setting to profess undying love.

WoinParis Dec 16th, 2016 02:53 AM

I don't remember where I proposed.
Is it also a U.S. Thing to do ? Or am I the only one who must have said something like. ' by the way should we not get married ? '.
We announced if at a reenactment at Waterloo though.

WoinParis Dec 16th, 2016 02:55 AM

Ah no it was when we told of our first pregnancy. ('Our'is my notion of romantism).

buzzcolin Dec 16th, 2016 03:00 AM

Both Como and Venice are equally romantic but Como is closer for a day trip. A proposal during a cruise or a meal overlooking lake Como would be the best ever!! We stayed in Argegno in October and even on a dull day that is the most romantic place. Just do it!!!

nochblad Dec 16th, 2016 03:35 AM

This sad sad guy registered on Fodors this month.

Is this a serious posting?

If it is, it is truly sad that someone has to ask this question.

Edward2005 Dec 16th, 2016 04:58 AM

I suggest you NOT tell your girlfriend that you solicited an opinion on this matter from a bunch of internet randos.

ssander Dec 16th, 2016 05:15 AM

WoinParis:

<em>Or am I the only one who must have said something like. ' by the way should we not get married? ' </em>

You are not the only one...mine was very similar, and we've been happily married 47 years.

I, too, feel that, even if you want something more "romantic", a marriage proposal should be intimate and personal, not a show.

However...Venice would be my first choice in Italy...at a romantic canal-side restaurant away from the crowds.

Overall first choice would be Ile St Louis (south side with view of Notre Dame on Quai d'Orleans between Rue Boutarel and Rue le Regrattier) in the evening in Paris.

ssander

colduphere Dec 16th, 2016 05:28 AM

Take this gondola and propose at the top. It will be absolutely beautiful, unless there's a blizzard:

http://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/...a._event_17665

And the vivid symbolism - after the proposal it's all downhill.

StCirq Dec 16th, 2016 08:02 AM

I agree you should nix the photographer. And please, please do not propose at a train station - I'd be crossing the tracks and taking the next train in the opposite direction.

vincenzo32951 Dec 16th, 2016 09:25 AM

>>What if she refuses?<<

That's why he's considering the roof of the Duomo.