Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to pick up cars to drive to Figeac? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-pick-up-cars-to-drive-to-figeac-765435/)

Betty1 Feb 3rd, 2009 01:46 PM

Where to pick up cars to drive to Figeac?

We will be a group of 12 going from Paris to Figeac on Saturday, May 23. So we will need 3 fairly large cars.

My original plan was to take the train to Brive-la-Gaillarde (3h51), pick up the cars there and drive to Figeac (1h30).

But Autoeurope/Kemwel is not showing anything larger than a compact available at the Brive train station.

I called Kemwel a few weeks ago and "Hector" told me that they could get some larger cars there and he quoted me some good prices. No mention of any fees for delivering the cars to Brive.

Today I called Autoeurope and spoke with Rachel. Same problem but she also spoke about getting larger cars from elsewhere but "of course, there would be an extra charge." Morevoer, she was quoting prices that were well above what Hector had given me. She really did not seem very knowledgeable.

I am now a little leery of trusting what Hector told me. If they do not normally have larger cars in Brive, can I count on 3 of them being there when we arrive?

Another option would be to take the train to Limoges (2h49), pick up the cars there and drive to Figeac (2h09). I'd prefer not to drive any longer than need be but maybe it's worth it to be more certain about getting the cars we need.

What would you do? Or do you have any other ideas?

StuDudley Feb 3rd, 2009 01:55 PM

Either take a train to Libourne, train/fly to Bordeaux, or fly to Toulouse. Toulouse and Bordeaux should have plenty of cars. In Bordeaux, you may have to go to the airport for a large selection.

Stu Dudley

tower Feb 3rd, 2009 02:16 PM

Betty

I've used Auto Europe for many years...then wehen Kemwel hooked up I would still speak directly with the kids in Portland, Maine who handled AE...a few times when I was not satisfied with the information, I asked to speak to the <b>floor supervisor</b>, and each time the problem was solved almost immediately.

One time it also dealt with getting a larger vehicle, in of all places<b>Brive</b>..the supervisor (Marie) promised the larger car would be there when we arrived by train from Paris...and sho 'nuff, the car was there (an SUV for five people plus baggage) and there was <b>no extra charge</b>.

Portland, Maine, 800-223-5555

stu t.

iris1745 Feb 3rd, 2009 02:22 PM

Hi Betty; If you check www.novacarhire.com you may find what you want. However, only from the Brive airport. Also, www.carrentals.com seems to have many locations in Brive. ENJOY Iris

tower Feb 3rd, 2009 02:43 PM

Betty

If AE comes through for you, it's a relatively short and pleasant drive (about 100 kms.)..easy access to the Autoroute (A-20) from the train station in Brive...follow signs to Cahors for a short stretch, less than 20kms., until you see the N-140 exit at Cressensac, signs pointing south to Rocamadour, Gramat and Figeac. The drive should take no more than 1:15-1:30 at most, appreciably shorter than some of the other options.

Where are you going from Figeac...I can recommend a fun &quot;Sunday&quot; restaurant experience in the hills near Conques, just east of Decazeville. Have a great trip...weather in May should be delightful.

stu t.

StCirq Feb 3rd, 2009 03:32 PM

I've never had a problem with AE getting me a larger-than-normal car delivered somewhere where they don't normally have them, and have never been charged extra for it. Granted, I never asked for 3.

I'd call them back again and ask to speak to a supervisor. There's a guy there I've dealt with a few times named Peter who's always been just wonderful - not sure if he's still there, but worth asking for him.

If you can't arrange it, pick it up in Toulouse - the ride to Figeac there on the back roads is really quite lovely.

Betty1 Feb 3rd, 2009 04:54 PM

Thanks, everyone. This is partially a question of timing, partially a question of cost. I'd had thought about taking the train to Toulouse but that takes 5.5 hours or more, and the drive time is then 2.5 hours. That would put us there pretty late unless we left Paris at the crack of dawn. Also a long tiring day of travel. We could fly to Toulouse on Easyjet but that's about 3 times the cost of the train. It looks like I can get Prem's tickets for 17 euros to either Brive or Limoges. Similar problem with Bordeaux or Libourne, although with the TGV we'd get there quicker. It would still be a longer drive.

Iris, thanks for those suggestions but both of them are considerably higher than the Kemwel quote for an intermediate or higher.

stu t and StCirq, I think I'll follow your advice and give AE another call &amp; ask for a supervisor. If I'm not satisfied with his/her answer I guess I'll go for Limoges. (AE does have larger cars available there.)

And stu, thanks for your other comments. Sounds like you know this area pretty well. I'd love your recommendation for that restaurant. I am planning to see Conques that first Sunday. I was considering a picnic for lunch somewhere along the Lot River Valley but I might prefer the restaurant, especially if the weather isn't too good.

The rest of the week, we'll be visiting Figeac itself, Pech-Merle, Gouffre de Padirac, Rocamadour, Cahors, Albi. If anyone has other &quot;must-see&quot; recommendations for this area, I'd love to hear them.

StuDudley Feb 3rd, 2009 05:56 PM

I think you can make it from Toulouse to Figeac in about 2 hrs. ViaMichelin says 2 hrs 8 mins. I would usually add another 10-15 mins - but I don't agree with the route viaMichelin advises. I would take the freeway all the way to exit #57 just past Cahors. Then follow the very scenic Cele river to Figeac, or take the faster D653.

However, I think your best bet is to work with AutoEurope &amp; try to get the cars you want from Brive.

Stu Dudley

tomboy Feb 3rd, 2009 06:07 PM

Hope your restaurant is better than the one we ate at in the SE part of central Figeac. Outdoor cafe, owner's cat had free run of the place. Thing was about the size of a racoon. A diner would leave, the cat would stretch up on its hind legs and eat leftovers off the plates. Then disappear into the adjacent alley to eat mice, garbage, or whatever. Then come back and look for more departing diners. We asked the waiter to get rid of the cat, but he shrugged and said, 'it belongs to the boss&quot;, and did nothing. I didn't even want to THINK that the cat had free rein in the kitchen as well.
That's one problem with &quot;servis compris&quot;, or a benefit of American tipping practice: a tip of nothing in France infers not extraordinary service, whereas there seems to be no way to infer GROSS dissatisfaction.

tower Feb 3rd, 2009 07:36 PM

Hi again,Betty....

where is your first night's lodging? Figeac, I assume.

At any rate, on your way from Brive to Figeac, you'll be passing (on N140), a cutoff road (Hwy 673)to Gouffre de Padirac (quite an awesome chasm)on your left, and the the same 673 to Rocamadour on your right.
Our favorite lodging is also on your right, a long, private road, leading to Domaine de la Rhue, just before the aforementioned 673...a restored stable..maagnificent place, pool, trails, etc.farmhouse, large acreage.

Another suggestion when you're in this area later in the week,would be the popular Cirque de Autoire...from Padricac just continue east and starting with the
small, colorful village of Autoire, and taking in Loubressac, Castel Montal, and following the Dordogne to Carennac (arguably, one of the prettiest villages in all of France). You'll also pass Castelnau, worthwhile old castle to visit. You will have come full Cirque d' Autoire.

***Your camera will have to be packed in ice, being so hot from all the shooting you will do.

For a rather special dinner, you might want to make a reservation at the Chateau de Roumegouse, just off the N-140, a km. or two south of the aforementioned 673, on your left. It's a treat, even if just for the elegant ambience. Yes, the food offerings are excellent, also. Large enough to handle a pary of 12..but reservations are a must.

<b>NOW, for that recommendation I promised you</b>..
in a rather remote location in the countryside between Conques and Decazeville (get a good Michelin..don't know the humber).

<b>Frerrieres</b>

(in the small town of St. Almon les Junies)

While in Conques...a most authentic medieval village along the picturesque Gorges du Dourdou...you may have to ask directions because very few of the roads have a number designation in these remote hills.

The restaurant Frerrieres, specializing in family-style, especially on Sunday noon time...one meal, one reasonable price..including house wine and three courses. Very earthy, mom and pop home style..full of local farm families..great ambience, hearty meal.(By the way, we only found it because we followed a recommendation in Conde Nast, of all places)

Betty dear...Enjoy your wonderful trip..traveling with 12 people..&quot;don't be a fool, keep your cool&quot;...wishing you an experience with the least amount of rancor, the most amount of fellowship, sans party poopers and whiners!!! Yikes.

Stu T.
[email protected]

StuDudley Feb 3rd, 2009 07:37 PM

&gt;&gt;Then disappear into the adjacent alley to eat mice, garbage, or whatever.&lt;&lt;

Wow - so you followed the cat into the alley and inspected what the cat ate??? This must have really intrigued you !!!

Stu Dudley

Cathinjoetown Feb 3rd, 2009 07:42 PM

Or, it could have gone to use its litter box before coming back for more. I'm with you on this one, Tomboy, that grosses me out.

tower Feb 3rd, 2009 07:47 PM

LOL, from Stu T. to Stu D. !!
Sure happy I ate my dinner before reading that post! Yech!

Betty...I see where you're going to try to get to Cahors..may I suggest a visit to the small Resistance Museum in the center of town, across from the park...a great take-in, established by two members of the movement who will regale you with one story after another.

Stu T.

ira Feb 4th, 2009 04:45 AM

Hi B1,

&gt;I am planning to see Conques that first Sunday. I was considering a picnic for lunch somewhere along the Lot River Valley but I might prefer the restaurant, &lt;

It's expensive, but you won't be able to beat http://moulindecambelong.com/en/index.php#

They are now a 1*.

((I))
Who's very glad to have stayed there before they were discovered.

ira Feb 4th, 2009 05:01 AM

Hi B1

It will take you 6 hr, no matter how you do it.

Train to
Cahors.......5:05
Libourne...3:05
Brive..........4:18

Drive time
Cahors........1:08
Libourne.....2:50
Brive............1:45

I'd look into getting the van in Cahors, visiting Grotte du Pech-Merle, and driving up the valley of either the Lot or the Cele to Figeac.

((I))

ekscrunchy Feb 4th, 2009 06:30 AM

Betty: Maybe I missed something,but if you got a good price from Kemwel for the larger cars at Brive, why not take it? I have often found better prices at Kemwel than at Autoeurope.

Since we drive automatics, we often request them at smaller destinations and when they have been promised, have never had a problem finding them after arrival when booking with either Kemwel or AE. (Or Avis,for that matter). So I would not worry about having a special request fulfilled.

StCirq Feb 4th, 2009 06:38 AM

&lt;&lt;If anyone has other &quot;must-see&quot; recommendations for this area, I'd love to hear them.&gt;&gt;

Castelnau-de-Montmiral, Gaillac, Cordes-sur-Ciel, St-Antonin-Noble-Val,Villefranche-de-Rouerge, Rodez.

ekscrunchy Feb 4th, 2009 06:51 AM

I've visited a few of the towns mentioned by StCirq above and will say only that this is one of the most gorgeous areas of France! Add Bruniquel, Puycelsi, Monasties...

Glorious scenery!

StuDudley Feb 4th, 2009 07:32 AM

Get the Michelin Green Guide to Languedoc/Roussillon and follow the suggested driving route throught the Gorges de l'Aveyron. In addition to St Antonin Noble Val &amp; Bruniquel (already mentioned), there are other interestng stops along the way.

For a picnic, there is an excellent spot just above Conques where there are wonderful views out over the roofs of the village &amp; of the valley. There are several picnic tables. It is on a road that is just above the village several hundred yards after you exit Conques. Look for it on your right. We've had picnics there twice.

I'm in the process of renting a car for the Dordogne, Cantal &amp; Loire trip this June (4 weeks). Kemwell's prices seem to be much better than AEs. I'll call AE today to see if they can match them, and ask about the relationship between AE &amp; Kemwell. I have been VERY pleased with AE's custoner service when I've had inproper charges from the actual rental company appear on my final invoice.

While in Figeac, don't forget to pick up an English walking tour brochure of the town from the Tourist Office. Lots of interesting grain drying shelters on the top floor of many of the buildings.

Stu Dudley

StuDudley Feb 4th, 2009 10:47 AM

I called AutoEurope &amp; they quoted me a rate of $984 discounted to 915. That is less than the discounted rate on their web site (1,118 discounted from 1,385). Then I asked for a AAA discount, and they quoted me the exact same rate as Kemwell - to the penny (886.21). I asked them what their relationship with Kemwell was, and they said they own Kemwell and he wears two hats. I told him the AutoEurope discounted AAA rate was identical to Kemwell. I asked if Kemwell had a AAA discount, and he replied that the Kemwell rate is their lowest discounted rate. I also told him the Internet rate was 1,118 and he said I could pay that rate if I wanted to !!!

I asked, if I had a problem would I deal with Kemwell people or AutoEurope people &amp; he said that they are the same people. Terms &amp; conditions, &amp; changeability are the same as AutoEurope.

I told him that I advise other people to call to get quotes - and he replied that that's the best way to go.

Stu Dudley