Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to pick up a rental car in Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
Our family will be in Florence at the end of December, leaving on Dec 28. We're going to rent a car and drive to Liguria for a few days before driving to the Milan airport to head home.
I looked at Avis rental cars through Costco; they seem reasonably priced.

I would appreciate any advice as to which of these pick up locations would afford an easier egress from Florence towards Liguria?

Via Pratese 64 A B C, Florence-(FP0)

Via Borgognissanti 128R Florence (F-15)

Thanks so much
durhamnc
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 07:02 AM

The airport is the best egress---on the same highway going west.
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 10:46 AM

DO NOT. I REPEAT. DO NOT pick up your car in town. We made that mistake last month at the Ognissanti location and it was a nightmare.

The staff there is less than helpful, with the exception of one of the guys who ferries the cars into town, and the location is difficult to get out of town from and then return your car to. Because of some street work, it took us 45 minutes to find a way to get to their location to return the car. I'm waiting for my ZTL violation tickets to come.

I made a comment to the desk person about how long it took us to find a way back to their location and tried to make sure they'd registered the license plate so we don't get a ticket and he just said, "everyone has trouble getting back here."

Use the airport location as suggested above.
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 10:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I actually picked up a car, IN TOWN (from Hertz) two blocks from the Santa Maria Novella rail station last month.

Driving in the city was much much easier than I had been led to expect and having a GPS was helpful. There are a lot of one-way streets which are narrow, etc., etc., the usual expectations in a city such as this.

BUT if you want something easier and less stress-producing then I would also say that picking up a car outside the city would probably be easier but if you HAVE to pick it up IN the city I can think of a lot more complicated things in life than that.
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 11:44 AM

When you rent a car through Costco and through the Avis or Hertz websites, they don't mention the insurance you are required to have. When you start adding that up, you will find that going through AutoEurope.com is cheaper. For Italy they include the insurance in the price. They will match or better any price you get. They are based in Maine so if you have a problem you are dealing with someone in the US.

Search it on this site and you will see.
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied.
I will check all of that out.
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 12:25 PM

Dukey, I think we dropped our car off at that same Hertz location and trying to find it was a nightmare. You were probably wiser to pick your car up there and drive it out of the city.

To the OP, I'd say pick your car up as far out of the centre of town as possible.