Reload this Page >

Where to park in Venice and Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 1998, 11:44 AM
Chris Bailey

We are driving a rental from Germany, through Italy,to France. Where should I park for 3 days while visiting Venice and 2 days while in Rome? Has anyone parked in Orvieto and taken the train to Rome?

Old Jul 6th, 1998, 12:09 PM
kam

In Venice you park in one of the immense parking lots in Mestre then take the Vaporetto into town. I've taken the train from Orvieto to Rome--Orvieto is a lovely hill town with good shopping and wine. Don't know where one could park, but it would be better than in Rome which is crazy. I do know, however, that some hotels outside the middle of the city(toward Fiumicino airport) and on the via Aurelia, do have parking and the Cavallieri Hilton, which is huge and expensive also has parking---it's not centrally located either, but is in the city. I think I would just take trains for the entire trip--------you're really wasting money on rental cars and very expensive gasoline. Try rethinking this! Also, access to Venice is much easier from the train station! <BR>

Old Jul 6th, 1998, 02:14 PM
gina

There is a car park just behind the railway station in Venice, but it's quite expensive for a long stay. If that's a problem then yes, leave the car at Mestre (a long bridge away on the mainland). <BR> <BR>Lots of places to park in Rome outside the Centro Storico which is heavily pedestrianised.

Old Jul 6th, 1998, 05:45 PM
Rod Hoots

Don't know about Rome but am very familiar with Venice. Venice is an island which is reached by a causeway from the mainland city of Mestre. Since there are no vehicles in Venice, you must park your car at the end of the causeway and then go by ferry boat to the stop nearest your hotel. As you approach Mestre, watch for direction signs to Venice rather carefully. The route is not as well marked as you would expect. Once you get on the causeway, look carefully for signs to the "Tronchetto" parking garage. Again, it isn't marked as well as you might think. The garage is very large, clean and well organized. You take a ticket from a machine on entrance and pay at a payment office on departure (credit cards are accepted). After you enter the garage go as close as you can to the far end, because that is where the ferry boats depart. Park your car (of course lock it and don't leave anything in sight) and walk out the end of the garage. You will see a one story building in front of you (this is where you pay on departure) and the ferry boat dock is just beyond it to the left. There are signs in English for just about everything. Have a good trip! <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 9th, 1998, 06:54 PM
Bob

Signage entering Venice is tricky but after you cross the bridge go to the right to Tronchetto parking. Be advised that there are illegal and persistent scam artists at the entrance to the lot (one followed us up 2 stories before getting my message to get lost). Definitely go to the far end of the garage as the walk to the vaporetto is quite long and there are no bagagge carts.