Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to park in Rafina or take car to islands?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2005, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling to Greece in May. I will be meeting up with a friend who has a car. We plan to travel to the islands via Port Rafina.

Is there a car ferry from there to Santori or Mykonos? Do you recommend taking car to the islands, or should we leave it in Rafina?

If we leave it in Rafina is there parking where the car could be left inexpensively and safely for a week?

Any helpful hints appreciated.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 10:15 PM

Hi,
you can park your car in Rafina in nearby streets of the port(you have to buy parking daycards from shops there that cost about €3 or €5 per day.. i don't remember exactly). In May it may be free though!
Personally i like to have my car or rent one in the islands. You can go to beaches that buses don't go, and be more independent. Of course it's difficult to find parking spaces in 'chora' but in May i don't think that you'll have any problems with that!
The only think you have to take into consideration actually, is the money issue. Because the price for a car in the boat is quite expensive.
In which islands do you want to go? Because for island hopping i wouldn't bring my car.
You can go there, and if you need to see some places that buses don't go, just rent a car for a day or two.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 10:18 PM

I forgot to mention that nearby the port there is a parking. It's openspace but supposedly someone watch the cars there. But i think it's more expensive to park you car there.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

We plan to go to at least Mykonos and Santori, not sure where else. We will be travelling on the islands for 8 days. I was think ing we could use one of those two islands as a base and if we brought the car, leave it there when exploring a few more. just not sure which makes more sense.

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 10:51 PM

You have to check timetables and types of ships that run between islands to decide what's best for you.
Check www.gtp.gr
But some things to consider:
1. From Mykonos to Santorini i think there is only catamaran (not for cars)
2. Nearby Mykonos it's easy to visit Syros, Tinos, Paros, Naxos. (I would recommend Syros because it's somehow different and Paros or Naxos).
3. I don't think that there is a ferry from Santorini to Rafina. (in order for you take your car). How do you plan to return from Santorini?