Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to park in Florence...yes I know its not easy! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-park-in-florence-yes-i-know-its-not-easy-637773/)

Marko Aug 9th, 2006 01:53 AM

Where to park in Florence...yes I know its not easy!

We are driving from Near Portovenere and need to end up just south of Siena that evening. Last time we were in Italy we stayed in Florence for 3 nights and this time my lovely wife wants to go back "just for a couple of hours"....I think there is a shoe shop she wants to donate to ! The question comes...where do I park? I know there is parking at the train station (but it is a bit dodgey !) and I remember there was one on Borgo Ognissanti just past the church...but I can't find it on the net !! Any recent visitors or locals give any advice ?

kybourbon Aug 9th, 2006 05:37 AM

Use www.mappy.com to locate parking. Enter Florence and after the map loads click on car park on the right side of the page. The list will appear below the map with clickable links to hours/pricing.

ira Aug 9th, 2006 05:41 AM

Hi M,

Also look for parking lots at www.viamichelin.com

They are different from the mappy ones.

((I))

((I))

phyllis_stein Aug 9th, 2006 05:48 AM

Also, south of the Arno (and convenient if you're heading towards Siena later in the day) there is a large parking area at Porta Romano. I've used that every time I've driven into Florence for the day. It's a bit of a walk into central Florence from that lot, but it makes for an easy exit at the end of the day.

bobthenavigator Aug 9th, 2006 05:53 AM

Oh my---can she not make her donation in Siena? The shoes will be overpriced anyway. I hate to drive into Florence.

kmkrnn Aug 9th, 2006 06:00 AM

If you have been there before you know there is no parking in central Florence at all. There are parking lots around the town, and good bus service into the center. We parked up at Micheal Angelo park...up on top of the hill all day for free a few months ago. Bus # 12 and #13 go up there(depending which way you want to circumvent the city to get into the center) about every 10 -15 minutes. It is also a nice walk down into town.

rossbdo Aug 9th, 2006 06:01 AM

I parked at the train station for the day when visiting with my family of 4 and found it quite convenient (and not dodgey). For one thing, it is relatively easy to find and the garage is indoors. The attendant took our car and when we returned after about 6 hours of touring the car was brought out within minutes, unscathed. You can easily walk to all the major attractions. When departing, get good directions back to the highway. Florence can be more difficult to exit than to enter!

Marko Aug 9th, 2006 03:47 PM

Thanks people !

Jan57 Aug 9th, 2006 03:51 PM

We also parked at the train station 4 years ago and had no problems. Found it easily. I think I would make my donation in Siena also!

Marko Aug 11th, 2006 05:46 PM

Don't you love Mappy !!