Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to overnight between rome and venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-overnight-between-rome-and-venice-1271547/)

msivala Apr 7th, 2017 08:11 PM

Where to overnight between rome and venice

Our family of 4 is travelling to italy in the last 2 weeks of august for 12 nights and 12 days. We are flying into rome and plan to fly out of venice.

This is the 2nd trip to Rome and Venice for my husband and I. We have taken similar trips in the past with kids and they travel well.

Our plan is to rent a car in Rome on day 4 and drop it off when we reach Venice (even if we have to keep it in a garage sometimes).

Ideally, here is the route we would like to travel -

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Rome...45.4408474!3e0

We are thinking -

Rome - 3 nights
Venice - 2 to 3 nights
Tuscan country side - ? (open to the idea of 2 locations)
CT or somewhere nearby -
Maybe a night between CT and Venice to break up the drive.

Our budget is mid-range. Typically we stay in 1-2 budget friendly places and splurge on 1-2 amazingly beautiful locations. I would appreciate any suggestions on where we could spend our nights, how best to see the sights, what to drop, what not to miss etc.,

Another question -

On 29th Aug, we plan to fly out of venice to Brussels.

I have the following flight options -

12:30PM from VCE - BRU 57E each
9:05a TSF to CRL - 18E each (From what I read, this might be difficult to make from venice central. what are my options? )

Another possibility is to fly out of Milan which has reasonable fares during reasonable hours but I struggled with that itinerary. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you

Jean Apr 7th, 2017 08:34 PM

Your mapping link didn't open for me, so I can only comment in a general way...

I dislike multiple short stays, esp. in a trip that isn't long. So, the idea of staying in two locations in Tuscany wouldn't appeal at all. I'd pick one place and explore that part of Tuscany for 4-5 days. I also wouldn't go all the way to Venice to stay for only 2 nights (1 day), even though I've been there before.

You couldn't drag me to the Cinque Terre in August, esp. with a car, but that's me.

joannyc Apr 7th, 2017 08:58 PM

Your map route and the destinations in your post ( <<Rome - 3 nights Venice - 2 to 3 nights, Tuscan country side - ? (open to the idea of 2 locations,CT or somewhere nearby - Maybe a night between CT and Venice to break up the drive>>) don't jive.

I could not do all the map route destinations in 12 nights.

joannyc Apr 7th, 2017 09:07 PM

Sorry... don't know how that green emoji got in my post!

janisj Apr 7th, 2017 09:53 PM

joannyc: >>Sorry... don't know how that green emoji got in my post!<<

you typed > ) w/o a space >)

msivala: I would not even attempt the CT in August. Crazy crowded.

joannyc Apr 7th, 2017 10:30 PM

Thanks, janisj... what is that emoji???

bvlenci Apr 8th, 2017 01:02 AM

It looks like an evil frown.

bvlenci Apr 8th, 2017 01:06 AM

Msivala: You would be driving on average more than four hours a day, and if you spend a few days in one spot in Tuscany, that means that on the other days your drives would be even longer. It makes no sense to make a long drive, stay one night, and leave for another long drive the next day. Just think about arriving in Bellagio at 4 PM exhausted and leaving the next morning for a long drive to Venice. Does it sound like a vacation?

In addition, after Tuscany, a car makes no sense on this itinerary.

I would rent a car for three or four nights in Tuscany, and then head to Venice. If you have a few extra days, you could consider spending them on Lake Como, with a final night either in Milan or near the airport. If you can get a lateish flight from Milan to Brussels, you could even spend your last night in Bellagio. (Actually, I would prefer Varenna.)

WoinParis Apr 8th, 2017 01:47 AM

I did TSF CRL recently.
You take a bus from TSF to Piazza Roma - 45 min about 10-15 euros ?
At CRL you are in the middle of nowhere.
You take a bus to Charleroi sud station and from there a train to Bruxelles midi. About 30 euros if I remember well.
Big advantage : you are near the bridge on the Sanbre from which I once peed when I was 13-14.

So in theendit is same price as VCE BRU and you lose at least 3 hours ans schlep luggage.

WoinParis Apr 8th, 2017 01:49 AM

About trip I would do some nights in Firenze or Siena visit SaN Gumignano and the area for 4-5 nights.
And I would forget conque terre.

msivala Apr 9th, 2017 07:20 PM

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. Based on the recommendation here, we will skip CT.

Rome - 3 nights
Stay around Montepulciano with a car - 4 nights (Good location?)
Venice - 3 nights
Lake como area or milan - 2 nights
Fly out of Milan

Is this reasonable? If we dropped off the car after tuscany, is lake como or lake Garda area possible without a car?

Thank you

msivala Apr 9th, 2017 07:24 PM

woinparis, really appreciate your feedback on TSF-CRL. Based on the changed itinerary we will look into flying out from Milan. Thanks