Where to meet in Strasbourg

Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to meet in Strasbourg

My friend is taking a train from Paris to Strasbourg and we'll be driving across the border from Germany to pick her up (in the early afternoon).

Does anyone have a good suggestion where we should meet? She'll most likely want to be somewhere where she'll be comfortable and maybe see some sights (in case we're late). Where is the best place to park? Thanks for any tips.
Marge

Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:02 AM

It depends on how long it will be between her arrival and yours. The simplest thing would be to meet her at the station. You can park there.

However, if you think that she will have more than an hour, then she might check her bags in a locker or at the left luggage (so long as they have not been closed due to security) and make her way to the Place de la Cathedrale (about a 20 min walk), She can then wait at one of the many sidewalk cafés where you should should have no trouble finding her. Much of central Strasbourg is a pedestrian zone, but you can drive to an underground garage at Place Gutenburg, which is only a short walk to the Cathedral. You'll then have to make your way back to the station for her bags, however. To avoid this, you could also park at the Place de la Gare and walk to the Cathedral to meet her.

If you don't know Strasbourg, driving in the center can be a bit of challenge.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:40 PM

I would suggest she just wait at the station if you are planning to pick her up about when she arrive, even if you are a little late. Strasbourg is not a small village, although it's walkable in the center, so it wouldn't be worth her time to try to sightsee. I think it would take longer than 20 min to get to the cathedral, for example, but especially if she doesn't know the city or where she's going, and then you'd spend a lot of time trying to figure out where to park (at the gare would be easiest). Place Kleber is wellknown and central and closer to the gare than the cathedral, that's another idea. I think all of that would end up taking a lot of time and you could have trouble finding each other.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the advice. I'm a little nervous asking her to wait at the station because we're going to be driving from Garmisch that morning, which is a long drive, and I can guesstimate when we will get there, but of course there's a chance we could be off by an hour or even more. I'd hate for her to wait at a train station for that long.

I guess we could park at the train station then walk to the Cathedral and meet her there. Are the crowds so big we'd have a tough time finding her? Is there one spot that's better than another to meet? Thanks for any advice.
Marge
Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:22 AM

The most recognizable place would be the Maison Kammerzell (very ornate half-timbered building right on the corner). They will now have chairs and tables outside.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, that sounds perfect. I'm so excited to see Strasbourg for the first time! And I'll be with someone who speaks French, even better. Marge