Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to Live France or Spain for 5 months w/2 Year Old?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our parents and friends will think we're crazy, but inspiration has struck and my wife and I have decided that we want to live in Europe for about 5 months -- can you help us decide between Spain and France? Also any specific cities or towns you would suggest?

Background: We are both in our early thirties currently living in Dallas, TX. Have a little boy who will be 2 when we move. We just want to do this for the fun of it and to experience a difference culture and enviornment while we are young enough to enjoy. My wife was a school teacher for 5 yrs before deciding to stay at home with our child. I work and would need to resign before leaving w/plans of having to find work when we return to teh US. we plan on saving as much $ as possible this year so we can live abroad without working. Plan to move around Nov or Dec. We've traveled in Europe before but only for a couple of weeks at a time (Paris, French Riviera, Venice, Florence). Never Spain. Spain is on our list because we thought we could come back having learned Spanish. France because we've had great trips there since we got married.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to the responses.

George
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 07:23 PM

Language is going to be your main problem to begin with, but you’ll get by. You'll find France, the southwest, the Pays Basque region, to be slightly less expensive in terms of finding a place to stay and buying certain food items. Spain, Navarra and the Basque Country (País Vasco) are a bit more expensive when it comes to housing, but overall, a great place to spend your five months. You might have the time to pick up a few words of Euskara, the language of the Basque speakers.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 07:59 PM

That's really bold of you.

Living anywhere else in the world is an adventure. I'm thinking that if you live in one country you could always visit the other during your time there.

With that in mind, the opportunity to learn Spanish -- and you're from Texas -- might be something you'll really be grateful for down the road.

Your son will pick up a lot of the language where you move to. Of course, he will need to keep hearing that language when you get back to the States. It would seem easier to keep his Spanish up in the States than his French.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 10:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
W/o getting a visa you will be limited to a total of 90 days in either or both countries. So your plan for 5 months is a problem.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 03:54 AM

Hi

worth looking into the Montpellier area.

Close to the Med sea with a huge student population. It is 3hrs to Barcelona & Nice, another 30 mins to Switzerland & Italy.

Bonne chance

Peter
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 04:04 AM
ira

Hi gm,

As noted, apply for your visas.

You might want to consider Auxerre - about 1:30 hr out of Paris in the Burgundy region.

Old Jan 9th, 2006, 04:28 AM

George,

You are doing what my husband, son and I dream of. Right now, it's financially impractical. I do have one piece of counsel, if possible: Unless you're in a field where you can get hired very quickly, be careful. Try to get a sabbatical/leave of absence from your work - even if it's only for three months. In the early 90s, I decided to do something like you did for several months. I worked with my then-boss and took a leave of absence from work instead of resigning. From their perspective, they wanted to keep a loyal hard working employee. From my perspective, it was very comforting to have that security. I also negotiated paying the full "co" amount on my insurance so that I could keep getting the health coverage. I imagine you'd need something of the sort since you have a wife and child to support. Of course, I don't know your financial situation, but unless you have enough for 5 months abroad (with cushionn for the inevitable unexpected), enough for health insurance/COBRA coverage while you're gone and when you return (VERY expensive), AND enough $$ to cover you for several months when you return for the job search (depends on your field - are you VERY marketable?) - unless you have all of that, then you run the risk of financial disaster which one can ill-afford with a little one.

I ended up not returning and living 2 years abroad, but I was working. Even so, when I returned, I had to go back to school before getting a job. Generally, IN the states, unfortunately, when you leave the country, it's not seen as much as a learning/enrichment experience as a falling off the face of the earth.

If you want to learn a language, you need to enroll in a formal program at least a couple of hours a day. That addss cost. It would be very hard to just pick up fluency in a language on a casual basis in that period of time. First, too many people speak enough English that they won't have the patience to sit and teach you even the basics as you try to muddle through. Second, in your home with your wife and son, you will naturally speak English, which will slow you down.

Anyhow, not to be a fuddy duddy - I am fully in support of people's dreams - but I hope you can make this work!

My personal preference is France, but I speak French better than Spanish. As for cities, we're big city people so we probably have different preferences.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 06:11 PM

I'd pick France, but if you want a great read on being an ex-pat in Andalucia, look for "Driving Over Lemons" by Chris Stewart. It's a terrific read and it looks like there's a sequel.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 06:54 PM

I vote for France. A small town an hour or two outside Paris.

WE lived overseas for 5 yrs. when our chidren were in elementary school...but then my husband was working for an oil company,
West AFrica, Dakar senegal,,,,and then in Lisbon Portugal.
It's such a fun experience for the whole family...however you do have a lot of logistics to work out such as: the visa as mentioned above, insurance, income, living conditions etc..the promise of a job on your return etc., Five or six months will pass by VERY quickly....and moving some places in Nov or DEc. puts you at the very worst, depressing, cold time in Europe. Lots of things to think over first.
I certainly hope it all works out for you and that you have a successful and fulfilling time.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

wonderful input. . . lots to consider. please keep it coming!
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 09:37 AM

My parents sold the house and moved us (sister and me) to Spain for 10 months when we were 3 and 4. We rented an apartment in Madrid for half the time and travelled the rest of the time.

They had a great time, and so did we. Years and years later, I found Spanish very easy to learn in high school and college.

I say if you can work out the details, this is a great thing to do before your child starts kindergarten.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 10:17 AM

I am so jealous! Please do keep us informed of your decision and your travels!

Someone on this board recommended a book to me recently that I have just begun reading and you might find interesting.

It's "Paris to the Moon" by Adam Gopnik. Adam was a writer for the New Yorker and he and his wife moved to Paris with their infant. The book is based on the time they lived there. Might be an interesting read for you.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

my wife and i have taken some of the advice on this board so far and decided to go in march or april so we can be there during the warmer months. will also give us a chance to save some $ as well.

still tough deciding between franche and spain though.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 05:42 AM

My vote is for Spain. My husband and I took a 2 week trip to Barcelona, Madrid, Seville and Nerja last November. It was a life changing experience and ever since we got back, I have dreamed of living over there! So, I am very jealous! Everyone we met was so friendly, many people spoke English, more so in Barcelona then the other areas. We enjoyed Seville and Barcelona probably the most. A good friend of ours lives in Barcelona and we met many people that were either studying or visiting that were all around the same age, late 20s and early 30s. Many of the people from other countries in Europe speak English, atleast a little bit. We found Spain to be very inexpensive in regards to eating and shopping. I am not sure about the housing. One other thing to know is that airfare to travel in and around Europe is very inexpensive. Our friend travels all over for about 25 euros. Have fun and enjoy your time over there!!!
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:15 AM

I, too am very jealous! In college, I did the usual junior year abroad, and ended up living in France for years, first in Montpellier then Paris. But, I married a frenchman so had no visa problems. And, being young, the idea of health care never crossed my mind, although I was covered under the "secu".

How do you think you'll deal with the logistics? I mean visas, health care, etc. I would truly love to give my children the same experience that you will give yours. I grew up in a Foreign Service family and living abroad is such an amazing, enlightening experience for a kid - an adult too!
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 01:27 PM

I stayed in Spain circa 5 months last year, in Almunecar an ancient pueblo blanco on Granada's coast (ca 70 km to Malaga) with about 2000 years of history. Great scenery, abundant apartments to rent (even with a prime view of the Mediterranean and the mountains it should cost you no more than $600-700 a month - UNLESS you make a grave mistake of going there in the summer), great food (not only tapas, try fresh sardines grilled straigt on the beach), abundant sightseeing, and you can manage without knowing any Spanish, since about 25% of its population are long-term turists (mostly retirees but not only) from northern and central Europe. There are also lots of places for kid's entertainment, necause it is also a popular (and in summer awfully crowded) turist area for both Spaniards and other Europeans. There is also an American club there, if you happen to get homesick or just want a drink with other expats. the drawbacks: Spanish buildings have neither heat nor ac, so - depending on the season - pick lodging with right exposure: you'll need plenty of sun on your patio or balcony in trhe winter and none of it in the heat of summer. Southern France is similar, but Spaniards are much more polite and understanding if you don't speak Spanish.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 03:03 PM

I am currently living in Swizterland and have been here for 2 1/2 years. I am very excited to hear of your plans, however, I would strongly encourage you to really plan well before you head into this adventure. Is there any particiular reason you want to stay in one place? The other posters are right...your visas will be a big problem and you might even have trouble getting an apartment for such a short time. Having just completed 2 years of German lessons, I have to agree with the other poster...it is tough to just "pick up" a language - you should plan on lessons which will add significant expense. My German lessons have totaled about $5000. Whenever I have visitors from the US, I always tell them to bring 40% more in cash than they had originally planned because everything is expensive in Europe, especially if you want to travel. Take a look at some train fares within Europe and see if you agree. Buying or leasing a car is another subject completely. Also, be aware that some countries require health insurance from that country besides insurance you carry from the U.S. It could be done, but as I said up front, you will need to plan really well. Visiting on vacation and living here are two different animals. If you decide to stay in one place, I would go with France. You are more centralized and this would allow you the opportunity to travel central Europe with greater ease. I would consider Germany and Luxemburg as well. Good luck and have fun.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 03:55 PM
ktw

How exciting, There is a book called One Year Off by David Elliot Cohen. The Cohen Family traveled the world for one year. It covers a lot of the logistics of House, possesions, jobs, children and schools.

Good luck
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 04:04 PM

George - I think that would be an AWESOME experience to share with your family. I'm in the same boat with you... well sort of. I am considering doing a month instead of 5 months (a bit more affordable), and I'm single without kids, which I know makes it a lot simpler for planning and budget wise. I'm also a little bit more in the conservative side, so I plan on securing a new job first prior to quitting my current job and travel for a month. Have a fabulous time planning; it would be stressful, but it should be worth it!!
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 04:52 PM

I applaud your bravdo...you too must have gypsy genes. As far as places, well, I love France, but love Spain even more, but that's just me. When my daughter asked where she should go to study in Europe--France, Spain, or Italy, I told her she should just flip a coin--they're all wonderful (she ended up in Italy and never regretted if for a second.) And yes, please let us know what you decide and keep in touch with us.

Buenas suetras.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -