Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to live? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-live-176529/)

kate_gerrard Jan 3rd, 2008 07:28 AM

Where to live?

We are planning to relocate to Northern Spain (Asturias / Cantabria), but are unsure of where to start looking. Our experience is only a one week holiday to the Picos de Europa, but we know Spain well and have lived before in Andalucia. Can anyone recommend a good region/town in Northern Spain to start our search. We are a family with three young children. Our business is mostly internet based, so we would not need to be near a major conurbation for employment. We need good schools, no more than 45 minutes to the beach, an attractive area not too remote, 1 hr max to an airport, rents not exceeding 1000 euros a month for a 4 bed house! Are our expectations realistic? Any advice would be gratefully received!! Regards Kate & Gerrard.

nanabee Jan 3rd, 2008 08:05 AM

I can't help you, but just wanted to say how exciting. Your children will benefit from this experience.

I just read a book called Manana Manana (One Mallorcan Summer) by Peter Kerr about his year living in Spain. You might enjoy it too.

bobthenavigator Jan 3rd, 2008 09:30 AM

Have you looked at Maribels Guides---she is a wealth of knowledge. We will be in that area this May.

Maribel Jan 3rd, 2008 09:34 AM

kate_gerrard,
We have friends who moved to the
Trasmiera area of Cantabria, and they've been very happy with their choice. The Trasmiera extends from the Bay of Santander to the Bay of Santoña. The more time we spend in this area of Cantabria, the more we enjoy it as well and have started looking at real estate.

Closer to Santander in the Trasmiera, is the Ribamontán al Mar with its attractive towns of Ajo, Suesa, Güemes and the Ribamontán al Monte.

Advantages:
good schools, excellent communications (the autovía del Cantábrico), international airports at Santander & Bilbao, good hospitals (Santander, Laredo), very near low key, pleasant beaches between Isla and Noja.

Another area where we have looked is the upper Cabuérniga valley, around the very pleasant and prosperous market town of Cabezón de la Sal (just returned from there in Nov.). Again, right off the A 8 with excellent access to the sea, mountains, Saja Natural Reserve. And the Herrerías and Val de Vicente areas just below San Vicente de la Barquera are spectacularly beautiful.

The further inland you go, the better the value.

Good luck in your search!

kenderina Jan 3rd, 2008 09:40 AM

I don't see very realistic 1000 euros for such a big house, really, Northern Spain is one of the most expensive areas here. I'm not saying it is not possible, I just don't know, but prices are high on that zone.Maybe a 4 bedroom flat.. Good news are that it's not difficult to be near an airport as both Asturias and Cantabria have one and aren't big communities, and then it is Bilbao which has a bigger one.

kenderina Jan 3rd, 2008 09:43 AM

I have just read this :

"And the Herrerías and Val de Vicente areas just below San Vicente de la Barquera are spectacularly beautiful."

And I fully agree :)

Maribel Jan 3rd, 2008 10:38 AM

Glad you agree, kenderina!
I agree with kenderina that 1,000 euros per month for a 4 bedroom would be difficult near the coast. Our friends bought a duplex, chalet adosado. For that amount, you will probably need to go further inland.

We've also looked in Asturias, but the areas of Llanes and Ribadesella have become extremely popular (construction cranes everywhere!) and much more expensive. The western coast (Luarca to Castropol) is less pricey and not developing quite so rapidly. We spent 5 days recently based in Cadavedo, only 30 min. from the Asturias airport.

cova Jan 3rd, 2008 12:36 PM

I donīt know about the optimistic part ... It is true for main towns (Santander, Torrelavega ...), but if you look on the Trasmiera area mentioned by Maribel, it could be done.

There has been a lot of construction (mind you, donīt go near the sea in case the apartments and houses are near a natural park, they could be demolished), mainly for summer places, and many people from the Basque Country bought places as an inversion and now they are renting.

Check in www.idealista.com. You will find plenty of places there. I think it fits your needs, between Bilbao and Santander, well communicated, lots of beaches. Not remote at all, but quiet enough.

Schools are a bit complicated. I have a couple of friends living near Lierganes and working in Santander, so they take the kids every day into town and go to school there.

Drop me a line if you need some help about it. I can always ask my friends if they know how the housing market is moving in the area.

Rgds, Cova

kate_gerrard Jan 4th, 2008 06:50 AM

Thanks for all of your advice. It is very helpful. It is also worth knowing that 1000 euros might be a bit tight. We shall investigate all of your suggestions!!
Kate and Gerrard