Where to honeymoon in March?

Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to honeymoon in March?

Considering Italy (also considering French Polynesia--go figure) but wonder about weather in Europe at that time of the year. We'd love suggestions of where to go, what not to miss, how to book, etc.

We want something relaxing as well interesting (is this asking too much). we love little places that are "finds."

All suggestions welcome.
Thanks!
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 07:56 AM

How much time do you have for your honeymoon? Where are you travelling from?

For our honeymoon last May, we went to (among other places) Barcelona (cool city, great architecture), rented a car and drove to Cadaques (small, isolated village near the border with France), and then went to Morocco (via a direct flight from Madrid). While it sounds like you're looking for something more relaxing than our trip (we moved every few days for almost a month), I'd recommend that you consider the a) Barcelona-Cadaques option; b) Barcelona or Madrid - Morocco option (especially the gorgeous and relaxing city of Essaouira on the coast - a short drive from Marrakech); or maybe Barcelona or Madrid + Canary Islands. One of these options will give you a taste of an interesting city, plus something off the beaten track (a pretty coastal town), plus some hot weather.

Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. We have about two weeks.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
March? Honeymoon? Definately: French Polynesia.

Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 10:51 AM

The key word is March. Italy is not warm in March---think NC weather. I would do Maui or Barbados.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 11:07 AM

It snowed for a couple of hours in Tuscany while we were there in late March of '04. However, southern Tuscany is magnificent in March with all the bright green winter wheat covering the countryside like a velvet blanket. Florence was fantastic without the usual summer crowds, and so was Siena.

Perhaps for 2 weeks, spend a week in Rome and a week in Tuscany. I prefer Paris over Rome, so an open jaw trip to Paris & Tuscany would be even better. Paris is great any time of year.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 06:12 PM

Take a look at weatherbase.com for historical weather info including temps and rainfall.

Here are some things you CANNOT do in Europe in March: sit in the sun by a pool or a beach, swim in the sea or a pool, eat at an outdoor café (except if you are very lucky get a warm spell and this mostly in Italy), stroll the cobblestone streets after dinner in summer twilight, enjoy spring or summer flowers, take wonderful walks and hikes in Alpine forests or along coasts.

Here are some things you CAN do in Europe in March: find cheaper hotel rooms, enjoy far fewer crowds and lines at museums (you may actually get the SEE the Mona Lisa), less crowded restaurants, the season is on for Opera at La Scala or in Paris and other cities, in early March and in higher elevations you can enjoy snow sports like skiing in the Alps of France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria or Germany.

If you are prepared for it weather-wise Europe is great in March, especially the cities, but if you are expecting sun and warmish temps, afternoons sipping campari and soda at Italian sidewalk cafes or getting a tan, then don't come in March. Bring an umbrella and a good attitude.

Places I would definitely avoid in March would be coastal areas like the Amalfi coast, the lake areas like Como in Italy and the Swiss lake areas like Lugano and Lake Geneva. Mountain areas in Switzerland are OK if you stick to higher elevations, IMO however unless you really want an all-winter sport honeymoon I would save the Alps for the true winter or warmer months. Cities like Paris, London, Barcelona, Rome, are great. Florence is a good choice as you can get out into the countryside, Venice maybe a bit too cool and rainy to be truly enjoyable (just my opinion I am sure others would disagree).

If you do French Polynesia, skip Tahiti and go right to Bora Bora.