Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to have Christmas Day dinner in London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 1999, 03:34 AM
MarkJ

My wife and I would like recommendations on where to have a traditional English Christmas Day dinner in London. We'll be staying near St.Pauls's Cathedral. We hope to catch a cab to get around on Christmas Day. <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR>MarkJ

Old Nov 10th, 1999, 10:12 AM
KatW

I'd recommend The Grill in the Dorchester Hotel and The Grill in the Savoy as well as the other Savoy dining room that looks out over the Thames.

Old Nov 14th, 1999, 02:50 PM
Judy

The SAvoy is closer to your hotel than the Dorchester. Although, I think the Dorchester is work the extra 20 or so minutes walk. Cabs might be a bit hard to find, so bring the appropriate clothes. You might also consider the Rizt on Piccadilly. It's about midway between the Dorchester and the Savoy.

Old Nov 14th, 1999, 02:52 PM
Judy

I forgot to mention that it would be a good idea to reserve in advance. (And bring lots of $$$$.)

Old Nov 15th, 1999, 09:39 AM
Tom

I was in London on Christmas Day a few years back and the selections were thin. You could pay a bloody fortune at a few hotels. Wanting something a little more local in flavor, we slected a restaurant from the listings in Time Out magazine. I don't recall the little greek restaurant in Swiss Cottage, but the food was good and the company wonderful. Buy a copy of Time Out and make reservations when you arrive. It a bit of a gamble, but worth the adventure. Also, there's not much to do on Chritmas and Boxing day, so pack your walking shoes. We walked from Swiss Cottage to central London after dinner on the 25th and marvelled at each neighborhood and park on the way in to the city.

Old Nov 19th, 1999, 01:40 PM
wgcash

I'll second the motion for The Savoy. <BR>We had Christmas dinner there a couple years ago with our teen-aged sons and were delighted with the experience from start to finish. <BR>But you MUST have a reservation as it's very popular on Christmas day. <BR>Get The Savoy's telephone number and call them, ask for the holiday booking office. They'll want you to send a 25 percent deposit (credit card info is fine) to hold the reservation. Our dinner for four, with lots of wine, totaled about $200 US. It was worth every penny...Lots of hoopla, small gAnd the food was MAGNIFICENT.... <BR>Enjoy