Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to go with one week in May? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-go-with-one-week-in-may-660263/)

tamarat Nov 22nd, 2006 07:12 AM

Where to go with one week in May?

Hi! Last May I took my husband to Italy for a one-week surprise 40th bday present. It was fabulous! I'm looking to do it again for his 41st, to another location. We'll be coming from Israel. We loved Italy so much, I'm even thinking of returning there to some different spots (we were in Venice, Florence and Rome - 2 days in each - it was jam-packed but so much fun). Or I was thinking of Greece or maybe Prague. Do you have a suggestion for something wonderful?? Thank you! Tamara

ira Nov 22nd, 2006 07:17 AM

Hi T,

That's a great time to be in Paris.

....Chestnuts in blossom/
Holiday tables under the trees

((I))

Adrian45 Nov 22nd, 2006 07:22 AM

Like you, we live in Israel. Like you, we love Italy.
So, maybe you will like also Spain as we like it.
For May I would recommend Costa del Sol or Andalucia (Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada).

By the way, next May we shall go to Paris and around it.

Of course, Budapest or Prague are beautiful also.

tamarat Nov 22nd, 2006 09:51 AM

Thank you for your replies. Ira, Paris is the only place in Europe, aside from Italy, that we've been to together. Do you have a second choice?

Adrian, if you had to chooose between Spain and Prague, which would you choose? Any other "must-sees" besides those? Have you been to Greece?

thanks!

brotherleelove2004 Nov 22nd, 2006 09:54 AM

Go to Greece. The islands are fantastic in May. Santorini is the most beautiful island in the Aegean. spend some time in Athens then fly to Santorini on Aegean Airlines.

ira Nov 22nd, 2006 01:48 PM

Hi T,

In May, I think that Spain or Greece would be better than Prague or Vienna.

You could also consider the South of France.

((I))

risab Nov 22nd, 2006 01:57 PM

I would recommend Prague because there is has so much interesting Jewish history and it is a beautiful and quaint place- the archetecture is just beautiful, there are really good restaurants, and you can take advantage of wonderful cultural events - we went to the Prague Symphony and the Ballet and it was very reasonably priced. You can do a day trip to Terezin or a trip to one of the neighboring towns. They have lovely walking tours of the different neighborhoods. We stayed in the Mala Strana area in a lovely pension - Penzion Dietzenhoffer. It would be a very different experience than another Mediteranean country.

(We just spent a few weeks in Israel this summer and we can't wait to go back next summer)...but, I love Italy, too and will be going there in February for a week - just staying in Rome with a day trip to Orvieto.

So...Prague is my recommendation.

tamarat Nov 22nd, 2006 09:11 PM

Thanks for your replies! Brotherleelove, I read on some of the other postings about the big debate regarding the weather in May - ie. that it's too cold to swim in the sea. Isn't a large part of going to Greece vegging out on the gorgeous beaches? Wouldn't it be risky going then in May? Also, w/one week, how long would you spend in Athens and how long in Santorini? Would that be enough, or are there other islands that are "must-sees"?

I like the Prague idea too - thanks Risa for your answer. Would one week in Prague be too much? (I keep hearing that 3 or 4 nights there is enough).

Ira, where would you go in the south of France? And what about the weather at that time?

Thanks again to everyone!

Tamara

Adrian45 Nov 23rd, 2006 12:53 AM

Tamara,

We were in May in South of France and the weather was beautiful. You can visit Cote D'azur (stay in Nice, Cannes or in another picturesque small town) and visit all the zone, from St. Tropez till Monaco, including some of Provence, St. Paul de Vence, etc.
Nice beaches, a lot of flowers, sun, good food...

As another option, for a week, I would select two of Prague, Budapest and Vienna. History, art, architecture, palaces, operetta, Mozart, restaurants with live music...

ekscrunchy Nov 23rd, 2006 04:03 AM

May is generally an excellent time to travel in Europe and I think any of your loctions would work our very well. Vienna would be lovely, ditto Greece and Paris. I have never been to Prague but am quite sure it would be a good time. If you are thinking Spain, the south starts to heat up in late May..but being from Israel you are used to warm weather.

Luisah Nov 23rd, 2006 08:10 AM

You wouldn't need a week in Prague but you could take day trips to the country.

If it's warm enough to swim in May, I vote for Greece.

risab Nov 23rd, 2006 04:07 PM

We were in Prague for about 6 days and did not find it to be too many days at all. We liked the fact that the city was small, walkable, and we could do it at our own pace. Originally we planned to do a day trip to Kolin and Kutna Hora but my daughter and husband just wanted to hang out in Prague. We went to Vienna and that is really a lovely city, too. It is really elegant with wonderful museums. Although, if I were doing it again I'd do four days in Prague and four in Budapest (which is an easy train ride).

Danna Nov 23rd, 2006 05:15 PM

Early or late May? If it's early I would suggest Amsterdam with a day trip to Keukenhof Garden. This spring only garden will take your breath away, and then you'll turn a corner and it will be even more spectacular.

Amsterdam is darn fun in the meantime! I would also second the Paris suggestion, but I haven't made my maiden voyage to Italy yet. Learning Italian now and hoping for Emilia Romagna. Cheers!

brotherleelove2004 Nov 23rd, 2006 10:07 PM

For me the best weaather in Greece is May-June. It's nice and warm but not blisteringly hot. As long as the wind isn't blowing the water is great for swimming, and the skies are mostly sunny so "vegging out on the gorgeous beaches" will not be a problem.

Of course you can spend more time if you have it checking out other islands, but if not, spend 2 days in Athens at the end of your trip and the rest of the time exploring Santorini. If you do manage to come up with more time there are several islands close by that you can easily reach by ferry. To get to Santorini from Athens you can fly cheaply on Aegean Airlines, perhaps for as little as 19 Euro plus tax if those tickets are available on your chosen days of travel.

GBC Nov 24th, 2006 02:20 AM

tamarat....Except for Spain, we've been to most of the places mentioned in May. It is a wonderful time to travel in Europe.

My suggestion for you would also be Greece. Starting in Santorini (3 days), ferry to Naxos or Paros (2 days), and returning from Athens (2 days). If you can't manage 7 nights, just visit Santorini and Athens. Naxos has beautiful beaches, Santorini has those travel photo pools, but Greece, is about also about history.

Kate_W Nov 24th, 2006 04:39 AM

In some European countries, there are up to 4 statutory holidays in May. Those holidays can have an impact on your trip (especially a short trip like yours) because locals will be taking long weekends and, therefore, flights and trains may book up earlier than usual (tickets more expensive), and stations and roads will be more crowded. Hotels might also book up earlier than usual and prices might be higher. Some of the places you want to visit (museums, shops or restaurants) might be closed on the holiday itself. These aren't reasons not to travel, but you should check the holiday dates in the country you're planning to visit and, if a holiday falls during your visit, make sure to check opening hours for places you have your heart set on visiting.

FYI, the possible holidays are: May 1 (labour day in many European countries), May 8 (France - Liberation Day), Assumption and Pentecost (may or may not be holidays in different countries; dates vary from year to year but this year I think it's May 17 and May 28).

If you'd like more assurance of good weather, what about Turkey? You could spend a few days exploring Istanbul and then head to a coastal resort toward the south of the country.

My husband and I went diving in the Med in Spain a few years ago in late May - and it was very cold in the water, but temperatures above the water were lovely.

One of my favourite cities in the world is Barcelona. Great architecture, interesting history, interesting museums, good shopping, great nightlife (restaurants, cafes, bars), by the ocean etc. Spend a few days in Barcelona - and then head northeast toward the walled city of Girona and/or the charming seaside village of Cadaques.

Another Spanish option is to investigate the possibility of staying in one of the Paradores. These are a group of hotels, all remarkable in some way in terms of history, character, ambience, etc. Go to http://www.parador.es/english/index.jsp

For example, if you book early enough, you could stay in the Parador de Granada, a hotel in what was once a 15th century convent, inside the gardens of one of the most beautiful places in the world, the Alhambra. Go to http://www.parador.es/english/parado...?selparador=39

risab Nov 26th, 2006 06:49 AM

tamara...please post where you've finally decided to vacation!

tamarat Nov 29th, 2006 12:53 AM

I've narrowed it down to Prague, Barcelona or Greece (probably just Santorini). I know they're completely different types of holidays. I'm interested in both kinds- both relaxing/vegging and also being on the move and seeing wonderful architecture, museums, etc. I guess I want a place that will be gorgeous and unique and at the same time interesting and fun. I can't decide on which place will be best. What is your vote and why? (Our travel dates are May 10-17th 2007)

thank you so much!
Tamara

tamarat Nov 29th, 2006 12:54 AM

ps. If you have strong feelings about another place for a week in May, please elaborate!

Viajero2 Nov 29th, 2006 01:38 AM

T-- ready for another suggestion...? What about the South of France? Fly into Nice, rent an apartment/house? This region has it all; gorgeous scenery, wonderful sights, and tons of history.