Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to go with infant? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-go-with-infant-1112177/)

sarahlizb Jun 11th, 2016 06:04 AM

Where to go with infant?

My husband and I recently had our first child and we are thinking about taking a trip and bringing her along when she's about nine months. Does anyone have any suggestions for cities or countries that may be the best option to travel to with an infant?

I understand there will be a number of unique challenges with bringing with an infant, I'm not looking for reasons why I shouldn't travel with an infant, just looking for suggestions for destinations.

On a side note, we've both studied in Europe and vacation and/or backpacked there 6 or 7 times, so we are comfortable with traveling. Just struggling to think if certain places would be more conducive to traveling with a little one.

Thank you!

janisj Jun 11th, 2016 06:39 AM

W/ a baby you can go anywhere really. What sort of places/things do you enjoy?

Gretchen Jun 11th, 2016 06:41 AM

Go where you want. What difference could it make to your child. Stay in one place for a period of time--don't move around a lot.
Maybe try some things in the US for practice? LOL

Whathello Jun 11th, 2016 06:41 AM

We have not stopped traveling when we got our kids. At 9 months or earlier we privileged stays at one place. We did Corsica Crete France in a gite.
Mostly beach vacations.
We have always found Mediterranean countries to be nicer towards children but it is just out feeling.

annhig Jun 11th, 2016 06:46 AM

Whathello - I'd agree that the further south you get in Europe, generally the more relaxed people are about children, though we found the Netherlands very child oriented too.

In general I'd agree that staying in one place is easier with the option to cook for yourself and/or babysitting facilities so you can have a rest, though I have to confess that we toured New England with our DD when she was just 12 months old; not sure I'd do it again, but it was a memorable holiday.

StCirq Jun 11th, 2016 06:56 AM

I took my infants and toddlers and kids all over Europe, at all ages. Anywhere is fine. It's way more about how you structure the trip than it is about the destination, though I think I would tend to agree that southern Europe might be a little more relaxed about accepting children in, say, cafés or bistros than northern Europe. And towns and villages can be easier than big cities, IME. But really, find a nice place to stay, settle in, move at a leisurely place, and be ready to change plans if necessary.

elberko Jun 11th, 2016 07:15 AM

I think the most important tip for traveling with a small child is to choose lodging with a balcony, or at least a separate room to enjoy your evening after the child goes to bed.

I never cook on vacation, but we traveled, even overseas, when our son was under 1. Always memorable to us, if not to him.

buferson Jun 11th, 2016 07:30 AM

I would suggest somewhere/sometime when it's not terribly hot. It's so easy to carry an infant in a sling or pack on your body, but not when it's hot.

nytraveler Jun 11th, 2016 05:48 PM

Well it looks like you will be traveling in winter which can be more challenging with an infant in many places since time spent outdoors can be limited and getting small kids in and out of multiple layers of clothes - esp to change diapers can be a major issue.

I would pick one place and get an apartment there to make life easier for everyone and head to someplace warmer - like southern Spain - so your child can still go out to playgrounds without being wrapped up like a snowman. It wont be beach weather, but will mean just usually one sweater - not multiple layers.

And having an apartment means you can do breakfast and snacks there as well as prepare baby's food and have a bedroom for the child to sleep while you can stay up in the evening.

At that age you can use a small folding stroller and also a snugli to carry the baby at times if sidewalks are too uneven. Since the baby will be mobile at that point - crawling if not yet walking though - you will have to babyproof the apartment. Remember at that age they can change a lot in only a week or two.