Where to go when 5 mnths pregnant ?

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 03:26 PM
monica

Where to go when 5 mnths pregnant ?

I am planning a trip for a week for our wedding anniversary in September.However I will be 5 mnths pregnant. Although I would love to go further away to somewhere exotic and adventurous, but it probably is not a good idea. We have already been to Spain, Italy , France, Germany and so we are looking for a new and exciting destination. Any ideas ???

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Sue

Greece is not much further than the other countries you've already visited, and the islands should be lovely in September.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 10:30 PM
Jan

Switzerland??? Upside is beatuiful country, great water, good food, decent people and did I say...absolutely awe inspiring natural scenery. There is no stress when you travel b/c of the organization etc. However, some seasoned travelers who like cities may think CH is a tad boring.

Another suggestion is Portugal. September in Portugal would be great! Fewer crowds, sunny, warm weather, gracious people. Lisbon is a fabulous city with interesting architecture and churches and the Algarve has the beaches while the North is special as well.
Enjoy and congratulations,
Jan

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 11:52 PM
Kelley

Perhaps you should first check with your Dr. Airplane cabins are usually only pressurized to 7,000ft...a long flight at that altitude may not be the best for you and the babe. I was seriously scolded for a weekend drive into the mountains at 6 months. Might be best to play safe without any stress...find something exciting close to home.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 03:00 AM
Ben Haines

I should think somewhere with plenty of sitting and not too much walking. I have just visited the Baltic countries with a bad ankle, so I may have some idea of your need. So long as the doctor says yes, you might think of spending time on boats. How about Frankfurt airport, 25 minutes by local train, hotel in Mainz to rest, recover, and see the first printed Bible, then down the Rhine, past Lorelei, to Bonn. Not non-stop, of course, but with meals here and there, and nights in Rhineside hotels near riverboat quays. Then for a change of locale, a 2-berth sleeper from Cologne at 2240 to Linz at 0748. Then more boats, from Linz at 0900 down to Vienna. Again, not all at once (nobody in their right mind would sail past Melk), but with meals and small hotels at riverside places on the way. I am sorry you cannot touch the beautiful wine, but perhaps you will save that for a later day ? or your husband can annoy you by singing its praises. From Vienna South station or Meidling station is just 76 or 70 minutes by local train to Sopron in Hungary. Not immensely exotic and adventurous, but a little so, and beautiful. If you were there you would take quick day trips by country bus to Nagycenk for the palace museum and if you can afford it the hotel in the castle, and to Fertod St Michael for the Esterhazy summer palace, a dream of crystal and sunlight.

In such cities as Mainz, Bonn, Cologne, Linz and Vienna the city tourist information office often runs bus tours of cities, starting at 1000, which let you see a fair amount without walking. You could e-mail them now to ask. I normally avoid hop-on hop-off city tours by double decker bus, but they suit our conditions well. Or, cheaper, I take one-day bus and tram tickets, and visit museums, cafes, and concerts that are near tram-stops.

I have in Berlin and Vienna hired bicycles by the day at main railway stations, and that is a delight and takes much weight off the system. But I can see there might be problems?

Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe. Oh, and congratulations.

Ben Haines

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 07:44 AM
patg

The second trimester is fine for traveling. You should be out of the nausea stage and will feel great. While in my fourth and fifth month, I spent several weeks in Europe and never had a bit of trouble. Of course, plan for your comfort, like taking an afternoon nap, and get well-broken in, adjustable, flat shoes (your balance will be a bit off, so no high heels or mules.) Have a blast before your life changes drastically.

As to where to go, it sounds as though a country with high health care standards would be most reassuring. What about Scandinavia?

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 09:59 AM
beth2

Why not UK? Some London theatre and baby shopping, some relaxing countryside, and a bit of touristy stuff on the side.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 12:13 PM
JB

monica,

my husband and I went to St. Barts last October when I was 4 months preg. I really didn't have a good time (bumpy roads, no drinking, changing planes 3 times) and wished we had gone with our original plan which was to go River barging in France.

River barging explores the country areas of France, Ireland and others. The ones we looked at included all kinds of visits to castles and other historical places plus all gourmet food and drinks.

Check out www.maupintours.com, www.thebargelady.com, www.continentalwaterways, and there are others.

I hope you feel OK and have a wonderful time.

JB