Reload this Page >

Where to go to relax

Search

Where to go to relax

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 12:30 PM
Dawn

Where to go to relax

When I go on vacation all I want to do is explore and be on the go sightseeing, shopping etc... (I usually need a vacation from my vacation) We were planning to go away at the end of May. The problem is that this time there is a chance that I could become pregnant before then (want to go on one last trip but also don't want to put off getting pregnant- on fertility drugs)and may not feel up to running around so much but just relaxing. Where would you suggest to go for 11 days (probably will base out of 2 places?) Where we could relax but if we are able to do more things we can. We enjoy cooking and eating, castles, churches, hiking, driving around and shopping in quaint places, not touristy places. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 12:34 PM
Carol

Hi Dawn, <BR> <BR>If you haven't visited the Loire valley, it could be the perfect place. There are lots of chateaux and b&bs to stay in, many with lovely grounds--and, of course, the sightseeing is fabulous, the food is divine, and the little towns and villages are beautiful.

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 02:25 PM
elvira

England: Cotswalds, Cornwall <BR>Ireland: northern Ireland coastline; Donegal <BR>France: Loire Valley; Dordogne Valley; Provence <BR>Italy: Tuscany or Tuscany or did I mention Tuscany? <BR>Greece: Naxos, Santorini, Corfu <BR>Spain: any of the many coastal areas <BR>Portugal: Algarve <BR>Malta

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 03:26 PM
John

Hi, Dawn <BR>I would add East Anglia to the list (quaint is easy, great food a bit more dicey), and also in England the counties of Durham and Northumberland in the north-east, too often overlooked by folks roaring through on the way to Scotland. (Look up references to Durham Cathedral and the Holy Isle, for example.) <BR> <BR>On the continent, almost anywhere in France works - I would definitely add Alsace to the areas already mentioned. <BR> <BR>Or how about a thatchy-roofed kro (country inn) in Denmark? Or Helsinki plus ferry plus Stockholm/rural Sweden? <BR>Nice in May before the tourists and the bugs. <BR> <BR>Or for that matter, check out the Bergen Line's freighter/ferry service up the Norwegian coast - if it's Tuesday it must be Tromsų - http://www.bergenline.com/main2.html

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 01:26 AM
Mary

Ireland is a wonderful place to relax, particularly Donegal. (The area around Sligo is beautiful and relaxing too.) People are friendly, most towns are quaint, the scenery is gorgeous, the sea is never far away, and there's magic in the air. Wherever you go, have a great trip.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 06:33 AM
Elena

200 km from Paris, 35 minutes to the Channel Tunnel: <BR>Stop for a while, relax, watch, breathe... <BR>Here is the way to overcome your stress: <BR>Le Touquet-Paris-Plage <BR>We are a Bed and Breakfast owners and suggest you our beautifull town in the North of France <BR>Please see : <BR>www.letouquet.com <BR>www.bnbletouquet.com <BR> <BR>have a good trip <BR>Elena <BR>

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 06:39 AM
martha python

Here's hoping that one of your eggs meets someone nice (or at least persistant). If it were me, I'd go with Elvira's Italy suggestion, although I might include a little of northern Italy as well as Tuscany. In addition to being beautiful and relaxing, Italy offers many delicious forms of carbohydrates (pasta and risotto), and that's often the easiest thing to keep down in your first trimester.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 07:37 AM
frank

Barra, in the Western Isles of Scotland. <BR>The plane lands on the beach.............plenty of excursions to points of historic/natural interest <BR> & nearby islands, some good hotels. <BR>Scenery is heartbreakingly beautiful <BR>Shouldn't really post about this place, <BR>best kept a secret, but it meets your need well.Find it on "the internet guide to Scotland". <BR>

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 07:46 AM
karen

Try Sicily in May. It will be warm enough for sunbathing, maybe even for swimming in the sea. Wonderful Roman ruins to visit. And Italy is the place for pregnant women to be pampered and fussed over!