Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to go to Christmas Eve Mass in Rome? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-go-to-christmas-eve-mass-in-rome-657826/)

SusanP Nov 9th, 2006 01:09 PM

Where to go to Christmas Eve Mass in Rome?

If you were going to go to Midnight Mass in Rome somewhere other than St. Peter's, where would you go? I'm not sure I want to walk back that far that late after a service. I'm staying right by Piazza Navona. Anyone been to one in that area? Thanks!

nessundorma Nov 9th, 2006 01:27 PM

The Pantheon is also a Catholic Church.

Girlspytravel Nov 9th, 2006 01:30 PM

Hmmm. tough one, given the wealth of beautiful churches just in this area alone.

There's the baroque church of St. Ivo alla Sapienza, a masterpiece by Borromini or

Santa Maria della Pace-with its Raffaello fresco or

San Luigi dei Francesche (French church) with its Caravaggio triptych

and then,

the Basilica of Santa Maria Sopra Minerva-with Bernini's elephant just outside-gorgeous church inside

I think I'd go go with Santa Maria Sopra Minerva-about a 5 min. walk from the Pantheon-beautiful arched interiors painted blue with stars-a Midnight Mass there would be really something

Grinisa Nov 9th, 2006 02:11 PM

Not every church conducts Midnight Mass. You might want to check with the American church in Rome, Santa Susanna, or the Bishop's Office of the North American College in Rome to see if they have current Mass schedules. Santa Susanna itself usually holds a midnight mass, but it is rather far from Piazza Navona. Of the churches mentioned in this thread, St. Ivo's is rarely open at all, Santa Maria della Pace has been closed for a while for restoration but may have recently reopened. I've been to a Holy Thursday Mass at the Pantheon (Santa Maria ad Martyres)and it was lovely. Santa Maria Sopra Minerva is a beautiful church and is actually about a 10 second walk from the Pantheon. Sant'Agnese in the Piazza Navona itself may still be under restoration. San Andrea del Valle is very likely to have a midnight Mass as are Chiesa Nuova and San Salvatore in Lauro.

Girlspytravel Nov 9th, 2006 07:20 PM

Well, I was just in Rome, and Sant'Agnese, along with almost every other church in Rome, and for that matter, in Italy, is under some sort of heavy or light renovation work right now. Santa Maria della Pace is open, and it is beautiful, along with its Bramante cloister.

Sopra Minerva is your best bet-and so beautiful too, but Grinisa is right-you should check with Santa Susanna (and that too, is a lovely church, btw) to see which churches will have a MM available.

SusanP Nov 10th, 2006 07:36 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been to several of these. I did love that blue ceiling at Santa Maria Sopra Minerva. Grinisa, do they bring in seating to the Pantheon when there is a service? I don't want a service where I have to stand. (My arthritic knees wouldn't like that! :-d)

I'll see if I can find a schedule listing which churches have a service that night. Santa Susanna didn't have anything on their website, so I've emailed them to see if they have that information.

Anyone actually been to a Christmas Eve service at any of these choices?

Grinisa Nov 10th, 2006 08:09 AM

Susan, they did bring in some chairs for the service at the Pantheon, but not many. If you choose to go there, be sure to arrive early.

SusanP Nov 10th, 2006 08:20 AM

Thanks, Grinisa, that's good to know.