Where to go/stay in Spain

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 12:53 PM
Adam

Where to go/stay in Spain

We have 10 days to spend in Spain early June 2001. We are thinking 3 days Madrid, 4 in Barcelona and three on an island or somewhere else relaxing. Any suggestions on great places to go/great places to stay (hotels/villas)?

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 06:20 PM
Graziella

Adam:

Are you sure you wish to stay most of the ten days in big cities?

How about visiting only one of them and then concentrating in the destinations near either one ?

For instance,if you choose Madrid, visit Toledo, and then go further South .... Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada.....and then some leisure time
- as you have planned - in any of the beautiful little towns by the coast?

Only an idea....

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 06:40 PM
Judi

And may I further suggest Nerja as a beautiful little town by the coast...

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 04:10 AM
Tracy

For your Barcelona leg may I recomend Sitges, its a beautiful coastal town (nice beach) and its 30mins away from Barcelona by train (these are double decker air conditioned / piped music type trains).
There is not too many high rises as local regulations forbid any constructions over 3 storeys high.It also has some fab restaurants (Santa Maria on the seafront) and good nightlife. I am sure that you will love it.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 04:56 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Adam, My advice is to spend almost all
of your time in Andalusia and forget the
big cities. Madrid and Barcelona do not
fit together---too far. The best of Spain is Andalusia and deserves at least
a week---think Seville, Ronda, Nerja,
Granada---that is Spain !!

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 07:03 AM
amg

Adam

I spent 10 days in Spain this past May. I would have to agree with the other posters that you will miss alot if you spend that much time in Madrid and Barcelona. We flew into Barcelona and out of Madrid. We spent our jet lag day and another full day in Barcelona and then flew to Seville the next morning. We then spent six days, by car seeing Seville, Granada, Toledo and Segovia (with a stop at El Escorial). And ended with 1 1/2 days in Madrid. I loved Barcelona, but if you want to spend time at the beach, it is most likely better to leave Barcelona for another trip - coastal France and Spain.

For a more relaxing ten days I think you would be better off following Bob's advice - Madrid - Toledo - Seville - somewhere on the southern coast - Grenada then back to Madrid and home.

The city of Madrid, on a short trip, can be seen in two nights with a full day -for the Palace and El Prado.

The only negative to the plan for southern Spain is that it will be very hot- 90-100 degrees - in June.

Good luck with your planning!
Aileen

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 07:20 AM
pat disharoon

we are taking the route of flying into madrid, staying for two nights staying at the crown plaza,, then flying to sevilla and going to the parador at carmona for one night, then off to grenada for one night at the best western, then to ronda with lodging accommodations for three nights at santa marta in estepona
(not sure of spelling) with day trips along the coast to nerja, mijas, and other white towns. then on to seville for our last two nights staying at the best western bequer (not sure of spelling). on the way back from estepona to seville, we are going to take the route by gibraltor, up to jerez de la frontera. any comments about this itinerary. any off the beaten path areas that we might want to see? thanks for any input

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 01:38 PM
Mags

Agree 100%with Bob the navigator!!!!!!!

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 03:06 PM
SharonM

Me, too Mags!
I especially love the little alleyways around the cathedral in Sevilla!

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 06:48 PM
Kathy

In Madrid I would recommend the Hotel Santo Domingo. Very centrally located with an underground stop right at your doorstep. Very short walk to Sol, Plaza Mayor, Palacio Royale, Opera, shopping on Gran Via. Immaculately clean, large beautiful baths, great inroom safe, nice closets and storage. Very, very quiet. They serve a wonderful breakfast. Check different booking websites as prices can vary. The hotel is very good at promptly replying to emails.

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 06:06 AM
Antonio Banderas

Concentrate on Andalcia, make Madrid and Barcelona as well as the nearby towns in northern Spain for another trip. The distances between the southern towns and the northern towns makes it too difficult with your time constraints.
Sevilla, Granada, Cordoba, with the bulk of your time in Sevilla. Maybe 4 days in Sevilla and split the rest of the time left with Granada or Cordoba.
You don't want to feel like you're always packing and moving one, enjoy your vacation.

-Antonio