Where to go on Sunday from Frankfurt

Sep 8th, 2000, 12:38 AM
Kristina

Where to go on Sunday from Frankfurt

Hi,

I was looking for a nice place to travel to for the day this Sunday from Frankfurt. I have been to Mainz, Rudesheim, and Rothenberg. Looking for somewhere I can enjoy that's no more than 1 hr from Frankfurt. Maybe wine tasting? Any ideas?

Sep 8th, 2000, 03:04 AM
stacey

Try Heidelberg. It's just about an hour, easy drive, little traffic. For more details - email me directly.

Sep 8th, 2000, 03:33 AM
Kristina

Sorry Stacey....I forgot to mention that I hit Heidelberg last weekend...any other suggestions?

Sep 8th, 2000, 04:14 AM
Russ

Yahoooo! You're in luck! Head up to Oberwesel, on the west bank of the Rhine between Mainz and Koblenz, for a weekend wine festival/market and on Saturday night for the "Rhine in Flames" fireworks/light show spectacle, when the local castles are set "ablaze". Go to http://www.firework.rhine-river.com/...val/index.html for a description.

Sep 8th, 2000, 10:06 AM
Bill Irving

Kristina,
Be careful about hours of operation for business, etc. if you are going somewhere down the Romantic road, like Rothenburg. Unless things have changed in about the last 5 years, shops& some restaurants close earlier on Sunday, like maybe noon or 1pm. Historical sites are usually open & you can almost always walk the walls, but just be aware of possible early closings.

Sep 8th, 2000, 12:13 PM
kk

Just one hour to the west of Frankfurt by car is Wiesbaden. It has more rich people per capita than anywhere else in Germany, once having been a famous watering hole for the elite in the nineteenth century. It is lovely to wander around in and then eat at Blum's Cafe on Wilhelmstrasse(or something like that). I was there on a Sunday and loved it, especially the kaiserschnitten at Blum's, a special pastry (so yunmmy!) that they only make on SUNDAYS. So, there you go, you're all set.