where to go, munich, barcelona, prague

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to take a week trip with my son (he is 20 ) where should we go - munich, prague or spain? Which will I get more bang for the buck, more to do etc. any help would be great thanks
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 04:10 PM

Well- telling us a little bit about yourselves and the trip might help.

When are you going?

What are your interests?

Frankly if it were me - when I was 20 - I would have been in love with Prague. But - I'm a history nut and want to see every castle, cathedral and museum in existence. (And Prague has a very unique history - from the middle ages on and especially since it was not been destroyed in WWII).

But it also has a tremendous music scene - of all types - and at good prices - from grand opera to the biggest pop stars. Also - a lot of nightlife from the most casuale bars/cafes to very sophisticated spots.

But - if your son wants to go hiking in the Alps - then it should be Munich - shouldn't it?

Hotels in Prague are still kind of scarce- so great deal can be hard to fid - but food, transit etc tend to be a little cheaper than western europe.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 04:17 PM

philly: I will put in a second vote for Prague. We went last October and found many things for any age group so both you and your son should find much that you will enjoy. Just walking around old town and the castle area will fill a full day but there are a lot of good places to drink good beer, gamble, listen to concerts of all kinds and many historical buildings, churches and museums. I envy you this trip. Enjoy J
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 05:16 PM

Barcelona
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, he is a history, literature buff. He has been to france, italy and spain. He loved spain most of all but I think we should go somewhere new. He and I both are layed back and love to enjoy the local flavor over the "disney" sites if that makes sense. - art, architecture, foods, people - that's what we would like.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Go to Prague- one of my favorite cities in Europe... if you're there for a week, spend a night at Cesky Krumlov... Munich would be my second choice- you could also do some day trips out of there- but if he's already travelled in Spain, Fance and Italy- Prague will definitely be something new and wonderful.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 10:26 AM

Definitely Prague in my opinion. Check out "the turnips excessively long Czech Republic trip report" for some cheap Prague suggestions as well as a great day trip to the Bone Church in Kutna Hora.

Cheers, the turnip
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 10:29 AM

Given the age of your son, my first answer would have been Barcelona.

But also Prague will be cool, if it shall not be Spain again.

But I doubt that Cesky Krumlov (besides the fact that it is not THAT close to Prague) will be 100% your taste since you mentioned that you are not into "disney"-style locations.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 10:40 AM

Prague is beautiful and we enjoyed our stays there (twice for half a week each time). But it's very crowded and touristy and almost resembles a movie set. I almost don't get a feeling that it's a 'real' city.

There are a lot of young people that are attracted to Prague, and my girls were late teens when we went. They liked it a lot. But when my younger daughter was considering Prague for a college semester abroad my older daughter advised her that it was where college students went if they were just looking to party for their semester.

I guess I'd say that a week would be too long for me in Prague.