Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to go in Western Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-go-in-western-europe-806900/)

MarionIrene Sep 19th, 2009 08:55 PM

Where to go in Western Europe

My husband and I are 2 active seniors and we have an opportunity to travel to Europe for about 2 weeks in Spring 2010 and we are overwhelmed by the choices. Thought we would choose 2 cities. In the past we've visited London and spent a little time in Paris and a very little time in Rome. Otherwise, we are novices. Any suggestions?

janisj Sep 19th, 2009 09:00 PM

OK there are a LOT of terrific cities in Europe. Give us a hint - what sorts of things do you enjoy? Have you dreamed of visiting anyplace in particular. Do you want to go back to any places you've been before? Would you rather visit a Latin/southern country, or Scandanavia/northern, or mountains, or seaside, or eastern Europe?????

SusanP Sep 19th, 2009 09:18 PM

As janis says, give us an idea of what you like. Rome is my favorite place, and you could spend weeks there and not see everything. I also love Paris and the same applies there. There are so many possibilities, it would help if we knew what you were looking for and if there is anyplace you've been dreaming about!

MarionIrene Sep 20th, 2009 12:59 PM

Thanks to you both for responding. We enjoy history and cultural experiences and love interacting with locals. I enjoy art and architecture, my husband, not so much. He likes sports and politics. We both indulge each other's interests. Not too interested in night life. We are perfectly comfortable getting around on our own on public transportation but not opposed to hooking up with a tour for the day.

traveller1959 Sep 20th, 2009 01:08 PM

>>>We enjoy history and cultural experiences and love interacting with locals. I enjoy art and architecture<<<

This still leaves 100 cities, 500 towns and 1,000 regions in Europe. And in spring, you can go everywhere.

You must narrow down your choice, somehow. If you have seen London, Paris and Rome, there are still Berlin, the Rhine, Vienna, Prague, Benelux, Copenhagen, Madrid, Barcelona, Andulusia, Venice, Tuscany, Bavaria, Switzerland, Cote d'Azur, Scotland, Ireland, Brittany, Burgundy, St. Petersburg, Budapest, Sicily, Mallorca, Greece.. - all fabulous destinations, but you must know what you want.

sheila Sep 28th, 2009 01:05 PM

I am thinking that Madrid and Barcelona for the art and the football would be good choices.

zeppole Sep 28th, 2009 01:09 PM

Given your stated interests, I would spend a week in England and a week in Germany.

hetismij Sep 28th, 2009 01:18 PM

When in the spring?
Amsterdam has history, museums, bulb fields near by, Ajax
and at the beginning of May the Giro d'Italia is in, amongst other places in the Netherlands (including my home town :) ) in Amsterdam.
Plenty more history to be had on easy day trips from Amsterdam.
Combine it with Paris, an get all romantic too ;).