Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   where to go in tuscany (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-go-in-tuscany-12670/)

Stefano Marchetti Nov 17th, 1996 01:32 PM

where to go in tuscany

Florence and Siena are the most attractive towns in Tuscany. Do not miss San Gimignano, Montalcino and the country between Siena and Florence.
If you have time, visit the "Crete Senesi" and its beatiful historic town of Pienza and Montepulciano.
Pisa and Lucca are very interesting too.

(avoid Easter weekend!!!)
Have a nice trip.
Bye. Stefano

Alan Houck Nov 17th, 1996 07:44 PM

Thanks, Stefano. On the map, it looks like a nice drive from Florence down to San Gimignano, to Siena, to Montalcino, and on to Pienza and Montepulciano. I'm sure it will be great!

Sunny Nov 21st, 1996 08:23 AM

Ditto Montalcino. Also Montepulciano and my favorite, Pienza. Greve in Chianti and an out of the way delightful little walled city of Cortona, perhaps the oldest city in Europe. It will be better if you have a car. Roads are delightful.

Dan Rourke Dec 6th, 1996 05:27 PM

Recently returned from 2 week trip to Italy and France. Tuscany region is beautiful. Stayed at a great bed and breakfast that was run by a couple from Switzerland. Both spoke excellent English, and and added bonus was the fact that he would play classical music on a grand piano in the evening. This sounded great as we lounged in the 2nd floor living room of this old restored 1800's farm house. It was close to Sienna, Florence, and an old Medevil town who's name escapes me at the moment. (Located in Casa D'Elsa)First thing you should do is throw away the piece of junk Avis Car Rental map and buy a detailed Tuscany Region map. It took us a couple of evenings getting lost before we realized the Avis map was not detailed enough! If you would like specifics on bed and breakfasts or towns - give a yell back, and I'll look them up in my wife's journal. Ciao!

Bill Thaler Dec 8th, 1996 02:25 PM

My family is planning to go to Italy or Greece this summer for two weeks. Would be most interested in the name of the bed and breakfast and other suggestions from your travels. Will be our first time to either country. Thanks.

Richard Green Feb 7th, 1997 12:43 PM

Dear Dan: what is the name and address, email and or fax for the wonderful farmhouse you stayed at?
Pls advise. Thanks.

Sue and Conrad Feb 25th, 1997 11:35 AM

Dear Dan, We will be traveling to Italy in Sept and visiting our former exchange student and his family. They live in Sienna and when you mentioned the B&B you stayed at was near Sienna I was thrilled. The family would love for us to stay with them but we don't want to impose. Would appreciate some more info and details thanks!!! S&C

Lew Moore Mar 8th, 1997 03:46 PM

Dan, That B&B you stayed at in Siena, Italy. Would really like to have the name and location. Also prices?

Lew Moore

June McGloin Mar 9th, 1997 06:18 AM

Planning a trip to Italy in June. The B & B you
stayed at near Sienna and Florence sounded
just beautiful. I would really apprecaite the name.
Thank you

Russ Apr 1st, 1997 08:10 PM

My recommendation is to set up camp in Siena for a few days to a week. Hotels are much less expensive and the city is wonderful at night. Get up in the morning and take one of the regular buses to Florence, San Gimignano, etc. I would arrive in Florence before the museums opened, be the first one in and get out before the tour buses arrived. Florence is wonderful but awfully crowded in summer. Get there early, see what you want to see and the return to Siena for the evening fun.

At night, the people come out to walk the town square. you sit out, drink wine and watch the sun set. It is truly fantastic.

Niall Kavanagh Apr 2nd, 1997 07:38 AM

Hi Dan,
We intend to visit Tuscany in the near guture and would
like addresses of your favourite B&B's .

Thanks
Niallo

Graham Digby Apr 3rd, 1997 09:07 PM

Dear Dan, Sounds like you should be on commission!! or maybe you are. We too are going to Tuscanny in Sept and would appreciate the details of the B&B you have mentioned. Hope you can read your wife's writing. Thanks indeed for your interest and help.

Martin Kleiman Apr 5th, 1997 06:17 PM

We are planning a trip to Tuscany in July. would be interested in fing out the name etc. of the BB that you stayed at. Thanks.

Lisa Apr 12th, 1997 01:22 PM

Dan~

could you forward any bed & breakfast information you have from your France & Italy journey.

Thanks!

jerry sigalow May 14th, 1997 05:54 PM

dan
read your message 12/06/96 about that wonderful B&B close to Sienna(owned by the Swiss couple) could you let us know where it is. We are two couples going to Tuscany for 2 weeks. Renting a car in Milan. Any suggestions for other B & B or any good restaurants. We all love good food & wine. Thanks for the tip of not using the Avis Map...just what we were planning on doing. THANK JS

Oran L. Bissett May 27th, 1997 09:34 AM

We are planning a driving vacation to the Tuscany
area March 1998. Would appreciate any advice,
experiences or traps to avoid from your trip.

Devin May 27th, 1997 04:44 PM

I have traveled all over Tuscany and Umbria. The best hotels in Florence are Monna Lisa (downtown) and Torre di Bellsgrado (10 min from town, gorgeous view of Florence and a pool. It is an old italian villa and very hard to get a reservation but it feels like you are a guest in a villa rather than a hotel -- Monna Lisa has a similar feeling). While Tuscany was great, Umbria was even better. The best city was Assissi and Hotel Subasio was fabulous with a great view of the countryside. Spoleto and Orvieto were good too, but if you stay in Orvieto stay outside of town. I loved Montepuliciano and we found a fabulous hotel close by in Montefollonico. It was called La Chiusa, 577-669668, it had the best food of the trip. All cooked from their own garden. People drive down from Florence just to eat there. We had a suite with a jacouzzi bath and it was great. In San Gimignano, there is a great hotel: Hotel L'Antico Pozzo, 577-942014 -- right inside the walled city with a great garden. We stayed in room 20, which was great (overlooked the garden. Hotel Gattapone in Spoleto was great too. Room #42 is huge with a great view. 743-223447. Oh, Monna Lisa's number in Florence is 55-2479751. Also don't miss the view of the church in Montepulciano. It's spectacular.

Devin May 27th, 1997 04:45 PM

I have traveled all over Tuscany and Umbria. The best hotels in Florence are Monna Lisa (downtown) and Torre di Bellsgrado (10 min from town, gorgeous view of Florence and a pool. It is an old italian villa and very hard to get a reservation but it feels like you are a guest in a villa rather than a hotel -- Monna Lisa has a similar feeling). While Tuscany was great, Umbria was even better. The best city was Assissi and Hotel Subasio was fabulous with a great view of the countryside. Spoleto and Orvieto were good too, but if you stay in Orvieto stay outside of town. I loved Montepuliciano and we found a fabulous hotel close by in Montefollonico. It was called La Chiusa, 577-669668, it had the best food of the trip. All cooked from their own garden. People drive down from Florence just to eat there. We had a suite with a jacouzzi bath and it was great. In San Gimignano, there is a great hotel: Hotel L'Antico Pozzo, 577-942014 -- right inside the walled city with a great garden. We stayed in room 20, which was great (overlooked the garden. Hotel Gattapone in Spoleto was great too. Room #42 is huge with a great view. 743-223447. Oh, Monna Lisa's number in Florence is 55-2479751. Also don't miss the view of the church in Montepulciano. It's spectacular.

Judi Jun 1st, 1997 09:46 AM

Please, the name and number of the B&B.
My friend and I will be going in Oct. we plan
on small, Italian hotels, but this sounds nice.

CP Jun 11th, 1997 06:27 PM