Where to go in Tarragona?

Apr 16th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Where to go in Tarragona?

I am traveling to Barcelona in May with a day trip to Tarragona for the beaches and roman ruins. I might even get there for Tarraco Viva. This looks like an interesting city but I cannot find a map describing landmarks on-line. What are the best and "easy to get to" roman ruin sites within the city using city bus or possibly taxi? I plan half day at beach, the rest site seeing.

Also, I can see the AVE train schedule between Barcelona and Tarragona (34 minutes), but RailEurope does not allow me to book or price the trip. I can only do that for the Altaria train that takes 54 minutes. What’s up with this?
Apr 17th, 2011, 08:57 AM

All of the ruins are close together near Placa La Font you can walk to all. Book AVE tickets at www.renfe.es, a notoriuosly unfriendly site.
Apr 17th, 2011, 10:31 AM

My understanding is that the AVE train drops you off some distance from Tarragona.

The slower Express trains drop you in the town center.

I went 3 weeks ago and it was clear but very windy so didn't visit the beaches. The circus ruins were interesting, didn't bother to pay to go inside the amphitheater as you could see it pretty well from above.

The aqueduct is mostly covered in scaffolding now.

Search this Thread