Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   where to go in Paris at night (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-go-in-paris-at-night-561951/)

celtic1 Oct 1st, 2005 08:27 AM

where to go in Paris at night

Going to Paris 6.10.2005- Can anyone give us ideas as where to go at night. Lido or Moulin Rouge. We are both in our forties!

ira Oct 1st, 2005 09:09 AM

Hi C,

Is this the only choice?

((I))

Underhill Oct 1st, 2005 01:21 PM

If not the only choices, think about a Seine cruise...not a dinner cruise, just an evening cruise to see all the riverside buildings beautifully lit up.

WallyKringen Oct 1st, 2005 01:35 PM

Would that be Oct. 6, 2005, or June 10, 2006?

Lido and Moulin Rouge are very expensive shows ($100 wihout the meal that I hear is never worth it), along the lines of Las Vegas shows (lots of legs, an occasional glance of a bare boobie, costumes galore). If that's your cup of cocoa, by all means. But they're no more typically French than a Rodeo would stand for all things American.

If you're going in June, a typically French evening would be a leisurely stroll at sundown when the light is mellow, people relax after rush hour, and a pre-dinner drink while taking in the view can be a nice thing to do. Then an unhurried and late-ish dinner, topped off with a Calvados and a walk around the neighborhood to work it off.

At other times, a concert will do nicely, there's lots of good music to be had, not only the "big" ones but recitals in churches and at the conservatoire etc.; or try the opera (but probably not in June?), or a Jazz club, or the late opening hours of museums and such. Art galleries have openings (called Vernissages) in the evenings, a nice way to mingle and stretch legs and get into conversations.

Still, to each his own - if you go to Lido or Moulin Rouge, don't hang around the Pigalle district where those shows are, it's sex-shop city and attracts a, shall we say, mixed clientèle.

WK

LoveItaly Oct 1st, 2005 01:49 PM

I would imagine that 6.10.2005 means the 6th of October 2005. Otherwise the year would read 2006. Europeans always write the day of the month first, then the month, then the year.

Celtci1, a Seine Cruise does sound lovely. Enjoy your time in Paris!

purple1 Oct 1st, 2005 02:22 PM

I, also, would like information about where to go in Paris in the evening, but spouse and I will be there first week in November, and we are especially interested in a Jazz club. Any suggestions?

jody Oct 1st, 2005 05:27 PM

One of the best jazz clubs..Le Caveau De La Huchette , 5 rue de la Huchette.

I can never stay awake long enough to consider much nightlufe! Dinner at 8 then 2 hours later , stuffed and wined, after walking miles, I'm ready for bed! But to each his own!

Christina Oct 1st, 2005 06:22 PM

There are plenty of jazz clubs in Paris and I think you can find out about them in standard guidebooks that will list the most wellknown -- you might just look at an entertainment guide (Pariscope comes out on Wednesdays for a week) once you get there to see about them.

I don't care for those kind of shows like Lido or Moulin Rouge, but they are very different. I think most people might recommend the Moulin Rouge for most tourists.

Opera does run in Paris until around Bastille Day, but it is very expensive and if you aren't really interested in it or don't go usually, I wouldn't recommend it for most people. It is very expensive, and often the shows are very long, and I think an acquired taste (or at least only appeal to some -- I love classical music, for example, but don't particularly care for opera performances myself).

wtggirl Oct 1st, 2005 06:37 PM

purple1, I can second caveau de la huchette, which is in the latin quarter. I had such a great time there. It is a traditional jazz cellar and they have dancing. My husband will actually be arriving in Paris Nov. 6th! When will you be there?

amwosu Oct 2nd, 2005 06:21 AM

Moulin Rouge is in the Pigalle redlight district. I suggest you walk the area in the day when you are visiting the Place du Tetre and Sacre Couer. Lido is on the Champs Elysees, no problem whatsoever to be there at night.

I took my 14 yr old son to see the Lido show a couple of summers ago, along with another mom and 14 yr old son. I don't know when he'll ever be back to Paris and I wanted him to see the quintessential girlie show.

Just a cabaret show with costumes and some bare boobs. Comparable to Vegas shows. The boys got pretty bored, nearly fell asleep by the end. Moms thought it was a fun night.

Lots of Japanese tourists in the audience. Food okay, not great but you are paying for the show and dinner so its not a bad deal altogether. Not something I'd do again but glad I did it once.

RonZ Oct 2nd, 2005 10:05 AM

Regarding an evening Seine cruise, consider the Batobus. This is the shuttle boat making 8 stops between the Eiffel Tower and the Jardin des Plantes. A ticket is good all day, last run at 10pm. Very good info on the web site.

www.batobus.com

francophile03 Oct 2nd, 2005 10:54 AM

I was sucked into going to the Moulin Rouge show because my aunt wanted to see a cancan show. Going to the show with the preconceived idea that it would be a lost night due to negative reports I read beforehand, I was prepared for the worst. As it turned out the food was definitely not worth it but the show itself was highly entertaining. Yes, the cancan was danced but the rest of the show was a combination of magic, acrobatic, and song and dance. I did not see a bored face around me. In fact, the men (young and old) were all agog with popping eyes and opened mouths. I didn't know what was more amusing, the show itself or the men watching the show. :)

wtggirl Oct 2nd, 2005 03:58 PM

I meant to say my husband and I will be arriving in Paris, not just my husband! To answer according to the shows, I did see Moulin Rouge with my Mother. I did not do dinner, but sat up in the bar area and it was VERY smoky. But, the show was good. Note, I said good (not great). I think it is a fun thing to do but not something you should spend time and money on if your time is scarce in Paris. Much better off to go the the jazz clubs like the one I mentioned before for a real Paris experience.

purple1 Oct 4th, 2005 01:03 PM

Thanks for the jazz club recommendation. I hadn't purchased a guidebook yet, but I will also look there and at publications when we arrive. Wtggirl, we are arriving Nov. 1 and leaving for Cologne Nov. 4, so we will just miss you two. Hope your stay is great! What did you wear to LeCaveau De La Huchette? I am selecting travel clothes to pack.

starrsville Oct 4th, 2005 01:21 PM

Fat Tire Bike Tour - the best way to spend a night in Paris

It was a blast!

Well, maybe not THE best....

Ceci Oct 4th, 2005 01:39 PM

purple1, not to worry about packing/wearing something special to go to Le Caveau de la Huchette--people there wear just about anything, from jeans to.. well, you name it. It's a too informal environment, or at least it was a few years ago. It's a funny place.

ira Oct 4th, 2005 02:05 PM

Hi C,

If you will be in the 6th, check out Le Bilboquet, 13 Rue St. Benoit and the Jazz Club at no. 3.

You can have dinner at Le Petit Zinc before hand.

((I))

wtggirl Oct 7th, 2005 05:56 AM

Purple1, I wore black pants and a comfortable shirt. There are a lot of regulars there who dance. I did not see any of them in jeans. They were not dressed up either. I would say most had comfortable pants and skirts and good shoes for dancing. However, I would still consider it casual. You could easily go there after a casual dinner. A pair of nice jeans would be fine I think as denim is now popular in Paris.

Gekko Oct 7th, 2005 10:21 AM

If you like trendy scenes with beautiful young people, then have dinner upstairs at Kong and then go downstairs afterwards. 1 Rue de Pont Neuf. Call ahead for reservations.

sandi_travelnut Oct 7th, 2005 11:21 AM

My husband and I came upon Le Caveau De La Huchette , 5 rue de la Huchette and had a wonderful time listening to the band and watching everyone dance.