Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to go in January/February for 10 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 08:11 AM
ger

I'd like your advice and recommendations. <BR> <BR>In the past, we have taken a winter break down south (Florida, the Carribean, Mexico) to escape the freezing Canadian winter. This year I would like to take 7-10 days somewhere in Southern Europe. <BR> <BR>Where would you recommend for this time of year that has a milder climate and low rainfall, nice scenary, good food. <BR> <BR>Many thanks in advance! <BR> <BR>Regards ... Ger

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 08:19 AM
Carol

I would try Sicily, but I'm not sure about the rainfall. It might be rainy then, but it might still be better than most other places, and I'd love to see sicily at various times of the year.(I've only been there in May and August myself, and have heard that April-May and Sept-Oct are the best times there.) Sicily will get top scores for scenery and food, but probably no place in Europe will be TOO warm in Jan.-Feb. I think February is almond blossom time in Sicily. There's some info. re the seasonal changes in sicily in "On Persephone's Island" by Mary Taylor Simeti.

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 08:27 AM
ger

Thanks Carol, sound very interesting. I am looking for "early spring" weather (I HATE the heat). <BR> <BR>I'll check out the book. <BR> <BR>Regards

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 02:24 PM
Pedro

February is the month when the " early spring " starts in several areas of Southern Europe as Andalucia (Spain), Crete(Greece, Cyprus or Sicily(Italy). I think Andalucia and Sicily could offer more facilities than Crete but if you want solitude and also gorgeous landscapes Crete might be your place. Jerez/Cadiz area in Southern Spain offer lots to see and do, as also some parts of Sicily. January might be rainy although some years average rainfall is scarce in both regions.

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 10:07 PM
John G

I would go to Malta.

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 05:43 AM
xxx

I'd skip Sicily if I was you. January is the coldest month. Besides, the cold, you can expect rain, and wind. <BR>Check out another post here about Sicily, I think it will convince you to look elsewhere. You can do much better weather wise. <BR>

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 10:05 AM
michele

Ger, <BR>XXX is right. Sicily is cold and usually wet, very wet, in January and February. Look elsewhere for spring weather, but I don't know if you'll find it. More likely autumn weather. <BR> <BR>M. <BR>PS Carol's suggestion : ON PERSEPHONE'S ISLAND, is a good one. Simeti describes Sicily month-by-month. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 10:28 AM
Judy

I went to Tuscany this past Febrary, the weather wasn't too bad,except one day a little snow, the rest was around 10C with bright sunshine.To me,a Canadian also, that was positively balmy.