Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

WHERE TO GO IN ITALY THAT IS NOT TOURISTY

May 1st, 1998, 07:03 AM
SARAH

I HAVE BEEN TO EUROPE, BUT MY HUSBAND HAS NOT. WE WANT TO GO TO ITALY, AUSTRIA, GERMANY, AND FRANCE. WE WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE COUNTRYSIDE AND SMALLER TOWNS TO GET A FEEL FOR THE AREA. WHERE SHOULD WE GO IN ITALY ESPECIALLY. I HAVE HEARD OF TUSCANY, SIENA, COMA, ETC. ANY SUGGESTIONS? WE WILL BE STAYING FOR THREE WEEKS.

May 1st, 1998, 09:17 AM
Tom

Orvieto!

A little hill town about an hours train ride from Rome. After five hectic days in Rome we visited this little town known for four things:

1. Orvieto Classico wine
2. Hand painted ceramics
3. Beautiful little cathedral
4. Etruscan tombs...and peace and quiet and few people, compared to Rome!

Eat at the Trattoria Etruscan, down the street that dead ends at the cathedral square, and try the pasta with wild boar sauce with a caraffe of Orvietto Classico. It doesn't get much better than that!

May 1st, 1998, 09:20 AM
Tom

Orvieto!

A little hill town about an hours train ride from Rome. After five hectic days in Rome we visited this little town known for four things:

1. Orvieto Classico wine
2. Hand painted ceramics
3. Beautiful little cathedral
4. Etruscan tombs...and peace and quiet and few people, compared to Rome!

Eat at the Trattoria Etruscan, down the street that dead ends at the cathedral square, and try the pasta with wild boar sauce with a caraffe of Orvietto Classico. It doesn't get much better than that!

May 1st, 1998, 12:41 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Sarah, That is a big question that can only be
answered by knowing ingress and egress,budget range, mode of transport, and time. Tell me more and I will try to help. There are many quaint and
non-touristy destinations in Italy, but chances are if you have heard the name before then the tour
busses have probably taken them over. It is getting tougher each year to miss the crowds---Italy is so popular these days. I have planned about 3 dozen
trips like this for others. If you want, contact
me directly for more detail.

May 1st, 1998, 04:27 PM
Tammy Graham

My husband and I will be going to Italy in september for 4 weeks. We will be going to Southern Italy the first week to a town called Santa Maria Di Castellabate and staying at the Palazzo Belmonte. Do you know of this place or the area? Can you recommend towns/restaurants we should visit when were in the area? We are also staying right outside of Florence in a town called San Romolo for 2 weeks and then onto the Cinque Terre for a couple of nights. Can you recommend a place to stay in the Cinque Terre? Our price range is about $100 a night. Also can you recommend a place to saty in Rome? Thanks for any information you may have.