Where to go in Italy for a week?

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 03:00 PM
dawn

Where to go in Italy for a week?

my husband and I are taking our first trip to europe with our 14 month old son late january. After 2 weeks in london we would like to fly to italy for a week but do not know where to go. We want scenary and we also like cities more than villages.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 09:34 PM
Chet

Hi Dawn:

If you only have one week for Italy, my choices would be:
1. Rome: There are so many things to see that one week would go by quickly. 2. Tuscany: Find a central location and do day trips to Florence, Siena, etc. Only problem may be the weather in Jan. could be somewhat inclement.
In either event, consder renting a small apartment ( 1 bedroom or studio).. With your youngster you may find some kitchen facilities and a little extra room a godsend. A site we have used in the past with success has been www.rentvillas.com. Also, www.venere.it offers some properties.
Good luck, Chet

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:11 AM
Davidx

If you want something a bit different,which should not be too cold, why not Sicily? E-mail me if you would like my notes [Feb 2001]

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 04:24 AM
Alice Twain

I agreewith DavidX about Sicily or any area of Southern Italy. Sicily is probably the most fascinating area of southern Italy, though, and will also allow you to enjoy warmer temperatures. you might fly in to Catania, spend a coule of days there (beware of the Etna erupting, though! On some days the ashes from the volcano can make the air look foggy), than rent a car and drive to Noto and Agrigento, spend another couple of days in Palermo, take the train to Catania for your flight back to London (or to America, on this case you might as well check for a flight from Palermo and spend one day more in Palermo).

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 05:57 AM
Joyce

If you only have a week, I suggest spending it all in Rome, with maybe a daytrip or two to nearby towns. Visiting Italy without seeing Rome is just inconceivable to me.

Rome has enough sights to occupy you for an entire week. However, if you choose, you can use one of the days there to take a day-trip to Florence. This is a 90-minute train ride if you take the high-speed express train. A day is not enough time for seeing everything in Florence, but it is adequate for seeing the main sights, and for deciding if you ever want to return to see more on a future trip.