Where to go in Greece ?

Search

Where to go in Greece ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2015, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go in Greece ?

Hi, my husband and I are visiting crete in October, but really fancy a trip to other places in Greece near crete, but not santorini. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Looking on skyscanner there are lots of flights, but haven't a clue about the places listed. We have been to Athens many times, so don't want to go there either.
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 11:32 PM

If you want a place near Crete, you can either visit eastern Peloponnese or an island.

If you choose eastern Peloponnese, you should hire a car and start from Athens. Your first stop will be the Ancient Theatre of Epidaurus, one of the most perfect theatres of Antiquity with amazing acoustis, it's a UNESCO. Then continue to the town of Nauplion, which is one of the best preserved towns in Greece, with neoclassical buildings venetian monuments and fortresses, many small museums and a beautiful marina with cafes. Stay in Nauplion as you please, and then hit the road once again. Your first stop will be the ancient city of Mycenae, one of the oldest and most important cities of Ancient Greece, it was the leader city of the Greeks in the Greco-Trojan War. It's a UNESCO. Your next stop will be Mystras. An excellently preserved Byzantine city with multiple churches and palaces of the period. This is were the last Byzantine Emperor, Constantine XI Palaiologos was crowned as th Emperor of the Greeks and Romans before departing for Constantinople to defend it from the Ottomans. It's also a UNESCO. Then continue to Monemvasia, an old walled town located on a huge rock, called the Gibraltar of the East. Its perfectly preserved and one of the most romantic towns in Greece, no cars, and has beautiful bars restaurants shops and boutique hotels. Spend a night there if you want. Go to Elafonisos as a day trip from Monemvasia, one of the best beaches in Greece (that's a big title). Then you can leave for Crete through the port of either Neapoli, or Gytheio.
Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 03:31 AM
WWK

We really love Paros (and Naxos!) which are on the same ferry line as Crete. They are both quieter less touristy islands than Santorini with beautiful beaches and plenty to keep you busy for a few days.
Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 04:15 AM

We just returned from 16 days in Greece where we spent 2 days in Athens, one in Corinth, 6 on Naxos and 6 on Santorini. We loved Naxos - there is lots to do and, while se didn't go for the beaches, we found lovely beaches on Naxos. Santorini is absolutely beautiful but we especially loved Naxos.
Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 08:53 AM

I am not sure how to dicipher the original post. I would think that on October your direct flights options within Greece from Crete are somehow limited. And flights somewhere does not mean a destination is close to Crete.
How long you have available for this trip and what your interests are? Do you have to return to Crete afterwards? How far away from Crete are you willing to travel?
Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 12:53 PM

The thing is, there really isn't anywhere else near Crete, and as mariha2912 wrote there aren't many inter-island flights either. There are 50 minute direct flights from Heraklion to Rhodes, and I'm seeing GoLight prices of only €24 including taxes for October on the Aegean Airlines website. Crete and Rhodes would be a good late season combination.