Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to go in France or Ireland? I'm in a bit of a pickle (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-go-in-france-or-ireland-im-in-a-bit-of-a-pickle-1009008/)

lelee092 Mar 20th, 2014 10:53 AM

Where to go in France or Ireland? I'm in a bit of a pickle

Hi!
I'm a 21 year old Floridian girl studying abroad in Vienna Austria for the semester (I actually posted here before about my study abroad trip and got some really good advice) I am in the middle of planning my spring break which is from April 10-29th
This is as far as I've gone, im leaving with a set of friends from Vienna to Bratislava to catch a plane to London, spend 3 days in London, fly to Dublin stay there for 2 days and after that Im a bit at a cross roads..I have another friend whom I'm meeting up in Paris on the 20th but that leaves me about a 5 day gap on my own, I could either
-Stay in Dublin and surrounding cities for the extra 5 days, I have a friend in Cork I can visit (but cant stay over) I really want to see some of the Irish countryside..I'm just a bit scared of traveling on my own and being in hostels :/
-Head out to France and explore some other cities that aren't Paris, I'm really interested in Historical places, like WW2 or scenic gardens and vineyards maybe?
-Stay at my friends place in Nancy, France. Anyone know any nearby places I can visit and do some day trips while there. My friend is busy with school and stuff so I'd still be sight seeing alone, but it wouldn't be too bad. Would Luxemburg be to far away to make it a day trip from Nancy?

After that I'll catch up with other friends in Paris on the 20/21st spend about 3 days sight seeing Paris, until the 24th where we head to Brussels for a day and then spend kings day weekend in Holland with my friend, and take a train back to Austria on the 29th/30th :p

IMDonehere Mar 20th, 2014 11:03 AM

Do you people who can give you tips on how to visit Paris cheaply, otherwise it can be expensive.

While I like Dublin, in no way shape or form, does it compare to London, Paris, Barcelona, and Rome.

If you are interested in WWII, you might Normandy and that general area.

PalenQ Mar 20th, 2014 11:06 AM

Are you taking the train between those places (except Ireland) - since you are under 26 you cn get some pretty cheap Eurail Youthpasses - good in one coumntry, 2 countries, 3, etc - take a look at them - for a lot of good dope on European trains check out these IMo superb informative sites: www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com.

Amsterdam is a very cute and interesting and a youth mecca for folks your age )well legalized sales of marijuana in coffeeshops partly explains that!) - from Amsterdam you can take an overnight train to Munich and then go onto Vienna the next day.

Eurail Youthpasses are valid for a 2-month period - flexipasses - good for 10 or 15 days of unlimited midnight to midnight travel - you chose the days anytime within a 2-month period.

Point is you could use the pass until the 2-month period runs out from Vienna - say on weekends (even taking the overnight train to Venice for a weekend!) or to Prague or Budapest, etc.

lelee092 Mar 23rd, 2014 06:13 AM

Okay so I decided to stay in Paris with my friends for 2 nights, 3 days and from there head to Nancy and stay with my friend for probably another 3-4 days maybe take a trip to Strasbourg or even Luxemburg fom Nancy? then hopefully I can find someone to come with me to Belgium (i really want belgium waffles,beer, and chocolates) then head to Amsterdam for kingsday weekend :D
whatcha think?

jpie Mar 23rd, 2014 08:22 AM

I think it sounds like a great plan-especially since you have places to stay for most of the trip.

And honestly, I would check into the possibility of hostels for part of the trip through www.hostelworld.com The areas you are traveling in will have super nice safe hostels and it is great way to meet folks and maybe even pick up a traveling companion.

indyhiker Mar 23rd, 2014 09:17 AM

If you go to Belgium, I strongly suggest Ghent. Lovely and lively university town, with plenty of chocolate, beer and waffles to make you happy. Your trip otherwise sounds like great fun!

PalenQ Mar 23rd, 2014 12:14 PM

Amsterdam for kingsday weekend>

Oh how I envy you! King's Day in Amsterdam!

https://www.google.com/search?q=quee...=1600&bih=1075

Be sure to wear some Orange!

Sassafrass Mar 23rd, 2014 01:11 PM

Yes, as Indyhiker said, Ghent. Ghent is a beautiful city and great for students, busy, active, lots of cafes, etc. Many places, I go once and am done, but would love to visit Ghent again.

Honestly, I would not bother with the expense and time to go to Dublin for two days. I would do that only if touring more of Ireland.

All very personal, but France would be my choice - many, many times over.

PalenQ Mar 23rd, 2014 01:13 PM

Amsterdam also has a large university right in the center of town - right next to the red-light district so that too is a university town!

BigRuss Mar 23rd, 2014 01:58 PM

In Ireland, would you be in a bit of a gherkin - or is that just a Britishism?

I'd lengthen the time in London - 3 days is nothing for that city.

lelee092 Mar 26th, 2014 09:07 AM

Okay so I have most of my tickets and hostels booked...its coming out a bit different than I had expected (problems of traveling with a big groups :/)

April 11-13: London- arrive in the evening of the 11th leave early (6am) on the 13th, so I'll only have one day in London :/ by far biggest let down of my spring break. There's so much to do i cant really narrow it down. any recommendations?

April 13-15: Dublin- leaving early the 15th, so I have roughly 2 days. Trying to convince my friends to spend one of them taking a tour of some Irish countryside and maybe taking a light hiking trail?

April 15-18th: Paris- I'll have a full 3 and a half days in this city, I'm kinda sitting this one out and letting my friends decide the itinerary :P

April 18-23/24: Nancy, France - I'll leave the 18th at 6pm through BlaBla carpooling,4 hour drive with a recommended driver, but only for 20euros!
I'll be staying with a college friend who'd be in the middle of finals during this time so I'm taking it mostly to decompress from the hectic week, kinda see france from a non-paris, non-touristy perspective.. and you know maybe study (mayybbeee)

April 23/24? Only part of the trip i havent sorted out yet since I havent found a buddy to come with me to Belgium (brussels and/or ghent)

April 25-28: Holland - I already spent a week when I first got to europe in Holland..but helloo kings day! 25th: visit the tulip garden, 26th celebrate kings day in The Hague, 27th celebrate Kings day in Amsterdam (less crowded), 28th leave to Vienna

overall spent in flights and transportation: close to 250euro (not including potentially nancy > belgium > holland)
And close to 100-125euro in hostels (150 if i include belgium)

currently my cap is roughly around 750euro...maybe cut out Belgium and that way have more money for tours, bars, food in the other countries? though i really want some beer, chocolate and waffles from Belgium ://