Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to go in France (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-go-in-france-45954/)

Valmir Jun 8th, 1999 08:07 AM

Where to go in France

I am going to spend 30 days in France and Italy, but I am not sure what places I shouldn't miss in France. I am planning to go to Paris( about 4~5 days), Mont Saint Michel, Avignon and Monaco...Any other wonderful place that I shouldn't miss?

Mary Jun 8th, 1999 08:25 AM

Don't miss Biaritz and the nearby Basque area.

illeana Jun 9th, 1999 01:15 PM

If you are going to be in Southern France you should not miss Saint-Paul-de-Vence (near Nice), it is a charming artist community and pedestrian village.And the mediterranean coast between Nice and Cannes is very beautiful, although it is a parking lot in July/August.On the other hand if you are in Monaco in August, enquire about their annual firework contest. We saw it by chance when walking down from the castle, it is done on the water and very beautiful.

carlos Jun 9th, 1999 02:15 PM

Valmir: I just returned from a 10 day trip to France. From Paris we took the train to Bordeaux and from there we pick up our rental car and drove 45 minutes to ancient ST.EMILION its a beautiful medieval village surrounded by vinyards. <BR>On our way we visited Rocamadour an espectacular village build against the cliffs.We also visited Loire Valley and saw Chateuax de Chambord and others. <BR>We continue to Burgundy country and visit the village of Vezelay and Chablis,our final destination towards Strasburg took us to beautiful and colorful wine villages along the "wine route" please e-mail if you need information on the hotels we stayed, they were reasonable and clean.

Mary Jun 9th, 1999 04:09 PM

Valmir: You do not mention when you are going to France and Italy, and what your mode of transportion will be. Also, what are your interests (arts, museums, etc.)?

Susan Jun 12th, 1999 05:27 AM

Don't miss Fontainbleau (and yes I always spell it wrong). The city is wonderful for shopping and the palace takes a good 1/2 day. Nearby is Vaux-Le-Vicomte where they filmed "The Man In the Iron Mask". Another palace not to be missed. <BR> <BR>Monaco is beautiful as well but you are already going there. I also highly recommend Normandy (Gold Beach), the city of Caen and also Ruen. <BR>

VBall-Dore Jun 18th, 1999 12:01 AM

I will suggest Loire Castles, it is not so far from Paris and it has to be seen.

John Jun 18th, 1999 06:25 AM

Hi, Valmir, <BR>Add our votes for Alsace (the villages near Strasbourg) and especially Annecy (near Geneva) - for scenery, old towns, friendly people, and oh yes did I mention the food?

VBall-Dore Jun 19th, 1999 12:15 AM

Hello again, <BR>I totally agree with John, Alsace is a beautiful area (I am from there ;-) and there are a lots of interesting things to visit in Strasbourg (Cathedral for instance, museums, the city itself ...) and to eat ("choucroute" ...). <BR>Bye <BR>