Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to go in Europe over Christmas? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-go-in-europe-over-christmas-456078/)

travel333 Jul 2nd, 2004 10:48 PM

Where to go in Europe over Christmas?

Wondering where it would be good to visit in Europe over Christmas holidays that would not be too cold or wet. Love the culture and sights of Europe!!!

Mama Jul 3rd, 2004 12:46 AM

Spain or Greece

Mucky Jul 3rd, 2004 01:24 AM

It depends what you want.
Warmish weather, wet and cold or snow.
Lanzarote and canary islands are pretty hot then, Italy and spain can be cooler, UK is wetter and colder and around the Alps North and east Europe will probably have snow.
Either way Santa will find you !!

Muck

Huitres Jul 3rd, 2004 01:46 AM

Italy is always a safe bet, as is the south of France (I suggest Nice or a "cultural" center of sorts along the Riviera). I spent Christmas and New Year's in the Cinque Terre last year. While there was a few days of rain, overall, the weather was very pleasant and sunny, albeit cool and crisp (just how I like it!)

I have spent Christmas with my sister in Germany and would NOT do that again - snow, slush, and cold every day. Brr!

BTilke Jul 3rd, 2004 02:22 AM

What is Malta like at Christmas? Everything closed down or are there special things going on? Seems like it could be a very interesting place for Christmas--if things are open.
Huitres, I'm jealous! I love real winter weather and was disappointed at our very un-white Christmas in Germany in 2002. A cold Christmas holiday with snow every day? As the politicians like to say: Bring it on!

m_kingdom2 Jul 3rd, 2004 02:23 AM

I visited Athens last Christmas and stayed at the magnificent Hotel Grande Bretagne - weather was wet on occasions, but gloriously sunny and not too cold on others. It is always nice to experience a city's different cultures and traditions at this time of year - especially in Europe!

Tulips Jul 3rd, 2004 02:39 AM

Hard to tell. No guarantees that it won't be wet or cold. A few years ago Athens and Istanbul had huge snowstorms during the Christmas holidays. Just go where you want to, and don't make your decision based on weather.

m_kingdom2 Jul 3rd, 2004 02:42 AM

Excellent advice from Tulips. I went to Athens because I wanted to see the city come rain or come sunshine.

If I wanted guaranteed sun I'd have been boring and gone to Sandy Lane in Barbados, but I'm awfully bored of beaches and just beaches at the moment, Europe is once again fun.

gradyghost Jul 4th, 2004 05:15 AM

Hello 333:

We spend 10 days in Vienna last Christmas and I can describe the experience in one word: MAGICAL.
From the Christmas markets to concerts to the opera, together with incredible restaurants, we would go again.

platzman Jul 4th, 2004 09:19 AM

The best place to be at Christmas time is in an Alpine town in Austria. Of course its cold...and if its not wet then it must be snowing.

mikemo Jul 4th, 2004 09:36 AM

If you want to avoid cold and wet, why choose Europa?
M

susanteach Jul 4th, 2004 09:42 AM

I've been to Europe three times during Christmas, as it is an ideal time for a teacher to travel cheaply. I would agree wholeheartedly with the last two posters, Austria, Germany... and alpine town, is just amazing for a "traditional" Christmas. After all, it was from the Germans Christmas trees orginiated, and many of our adopted Anglo/Germanic customs. Best: Vienna, Salzburg #2: German Christmas markets just before the holidays, and #3 I did London this past year. It was great, but not as wonderful an experience as the other two. Spain will be just as fun during this time, but maybe even colder!

nonnafelice Jul 4th, 2004 04:03 PM

We had a wonderful time in Paris last Christmas. We took one of those incredibly priced Virgin Vacation trips -- $700 each covered RT air fare from Boston and hotel for a week, including a full breakfast. The hotel was fine, a good location on the Right Bank, and we found that many places were open on Christmas Day in Paris -- for example, the Modern Art Museum at the Pompidou. I think it was the Paris tourist office web site that had a list of the Christmas week hours at various museums, which we found very helpful in planning.

You couldn't ask for a more festive place than the City of Light at Christmas. It wasn't warm, of course, but the weather was better than Boston at the same time of year. We had some occasional drizzle, but also quite a bit of sun and none of the torrential downpours we experienced during our previous visit in October 2002.

rj007 Jul 4th, 2004 07:13 PM

I agree with MK2 on beaches - they are boring. I am probably one of the few native San Diegans that don't care for the beach. I would rather spend a cool, windy day in London than lie baking on a beach surrounded by wall-to-wall people doing the same thing.

travel333 - As the other posters note much of Europe is cold and wet over the Christmas holidays. You love the culture and sights. Fortunately, there is a lot of things in Europe worth seeing that are indoors. Museums, galleries, churches etc. Don't let the weather stop you from having a good time. I love London during the Christmas season.

mcgeezer Jul 4th, 2004 08:50 PM

rj007,
Are there any native San Diegans that enjoy the beach? I can't think of any, myself included. If it weren't for my dogs I would never go.

rj007 Jul 4th, 2004 10:09 PM

mcgeezer,

I would think there are natives out there who enjoy the beach. Both of my brothers like taking their kids out for the day. You could probably go to OB or PB or the Boardwalk and find native San Diegans. I haven't been in nearly 20 years - have no desire to go at all.