Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Where to go in April, Stockholm, Luxembourg, Barcelona, Amsterdam or Munich
Notices

Where to go in April, Stockholm, Luxembourg, Barcelona, Amsterdam or Munich

Jan 26th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Where to go in April, Stockholm, Luxembourg, Barcelona, Amsterdam or Munich

I am considering one of these cities on an upcoming trip to Europe in April, 2011, my travel dates are not flexible and I plan on spending a maximum of 6 days in the city/region. I will travel from the UK, so jet lag is not an issue. I have been to Barcelona, Amsterdam and Stockholm, but not recently. I get the impession Luxembourg City is a small town and Munich a city with no distinct tourist attractions that would be different from other major German cities (I've been to Hamburg, Berlin and Frankfurt). I realize that in April weatherwise it is not the best time to travel, which of these places do fodorites recommend (or advise against) for a few days in April. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
Jan 26th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Also, want to add I go to Europe sometimes in winter, so a repeat visit to Barcelona may be more appropriate to leave for another trip when I find myself in the region during winter.
Jan 26th, 2011, 05:25 PM

I wouldn;t do Stockholm since it will still be quite chilly and many places may not be on summer opening hours (but you could check on this).

I personally like Munich (which does have several typical German sights - but also some nice Palaces. And you can easily do day trip to visit several of Mad Ludwig's Castles - which are fascinating - esp if see together.

Check the dates of tulip time in Holland - I think April is prime - and that might be our best choice.
Mar 8th, 2011, 10:24 PM

Hi!

Saw this post and was planning a trip to similar destinations around the same time, so here's what I found. From amongst the options would recommend Spain, Paris or Netherlands if your looking for a quick getaway from UK. Below have given a little of info on what I discovered during my research. Mostly referred to World Travel Guide, JourneyMart and Lonely Planet, aside from a few blogs.

Netherlands - Ideal time to visit before summer tourist season starts and also like mentioned in comment above, the tulips are in full bloom in April. Other than Amsterdam, can also look at visiting Kukenhof and Utrecht.

Spain - Also a good time to visit, as you miss the summer rush and get good deals. The Mediterranean coast is a good place to visit as is Madrid and Barcelona. Best though is Seville, where festivities in aid of Easter are supposed to be superb in April.

Munich is also great for tourism, with tons of museums and churches and castles nearby such as the Neuschwanstein Castle. But if you have time in winter, I would save visiting this in October, round the end of the peak tourist season and in time for Oktoberfest!

Hope this helps. Happy holidaying!

Search this Thread