Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to go from Frankfurt with 4 days free? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-go-from-frankfurt-with-4-days-free-693044/)

tjarvais Apr 1st, 2007 01:24 PM

Where to go from Frankfurt with 4 days free?

I am flying to Frankfurt in May for business. My two teenage daughters are coming with me for a few days of fun and then a few days with friends in the Frankfurt area. We arrive in Frankfurt on Monday (5/21) and don't have to be back to meet friends until Thursday eve or Friday. We thought we'd leave Germany for a few days, but don't know what we should try to cram in to 3-4 days. We don't need frills, and don't want to spend a fortune. Any ideas on locations (and most importantly) easy ways to arrange for travel? I am not familiar with European travel, but we are all seasoned travelers--mostly Asia. Minimal German language skills, passable French. All help is much appreciated!

mikemo Apr 1st, 2007 01:32 PM

I would rent a car and drive to der Nurburgring; Moseltal and Alsace, FR.
M

celticdreams Apr 1st, 2007 02:26 PM

Why leave Germany if you've never been? Grab a car big enough for the three of you and your stuff, and get on the road for a few days. You're only talking about 3, possibly 4 days - you could leave Frankfurt - head up the Rhein towards Dusseldorf, Cologne, etc - drive up one side and down the other - landing back for one night in Wiesbaden before heading back to Frankfurt..... So much fun to road trip like that....

bettyk Apr 1st, 2007 03:38 PM

I agree that you should stay in Germnay. Rent a car and stay in a storybook castle hotel on the Rhine (Aug Schoenburg), visit Burg Eltz on the Mosel and then drive down to Rothenburg on the Tauber on the Romantic Road. From Rothenburg, it is about 1-1/2 hrs back to Frankfurt.

Felly Apr 2nd, 2007 01:50 PM

I suggest taking the train down to Heidelberg (about 90 minutes) for a couple of days. Then on the last day, do a one-day car rental and take a day trip over to Rothenburg. That's a very hassle-free trip, and I think two teenage girls would love it. You can find out a little more about Heidelberg on the Destinations part of this website

bigtyke Apr 2nd, 2007 08:31 PM

Rhine and Moselle river valleys

bilboburgler Apr 3rd, 2007 02:48 AM

bigtyke has it.

Also worth looking out for the Franken area and "summer luge"

HeatherH Apr 3rd, 2007 05:54 AM

Stay in Germany! There are many things to see - either go east and north (Rhine river valley, Cologne, and Kusel), or go south and west (Heidelberg, Munich, Castle loop). Either is very pretty, especially if you haven't seen much of Germany before. If you are looking more for single destination travel, go northwest for Berlin. As long as you leave Frankfurt, then it's a supar place to see!

Russ Apr 3rd, 2007 06:10 AM

Head for the Rhine (Bingen-Koblenz) and the Mosel (Koblenz-Trier). If you have time to hit another country, Belgium, Luxembourg, and France are a stone's throw from Trier.

fried_eggs Apr 3rd, 2007 07:30 AM

I have to agree with a few of the posters above. Try the Mosel Valley between Koblenz and Trier. Absolutely fantastic scenery, lots of old and interesting places to visit, and really good wine along the way. Well worth a visit.

tjarvais Apr 6th, 2007 12:55 PM

Thanks, everyone! Germany it is! I will definately try some of your suggestions. I'll report back after we return and let you all know how it went. Many thanks!