Search

Where to go from Cliffs of Moher

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2013, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go from Cliffs of Moher

Hello Mates!

We are trying to plan an adventure when we first get to Ireland in June.
We arrive in Dublin airport at 1 pm and have a rental car to take off from there.

Our initial plans are to drive right to the Cliffs of Moher and then stay in a town/village nearby for the night and explore that town the next day before going to Dublin for the rest of our trip. After visiting the Cliffs of Moher any suggestions on where to go for the night and next day? We like old charm villages with authentic pubs, restaurants, and shops. Would love it if it had mountain views or perhaps a fishing village as well as nearby castles to ride by.

So far my thoughts are Galway.

Any help would be great!
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 07:47 AM

Where are you flying from? If from North America, <i>please</i> don't drive that far on your first day. You'll be jet lagged and not used to driving on the left - recipe for trouble. Either change your flight to go into Shannon, or stay in Dublin overnight (or move your entire Dublin stay to the beginning of your trip).

I haven't been to Galway. Doolin is the closest town to the Cliffs, but it's VERY small. We stayed in Ennis and found it to be a good base for the area. Also close to Shannon airport, if you do end up flying into or out of there.
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!! We are flying in from London. So a short, easy flight.

We have a flight out of Dublin later in the week so the plan was to end in Dublin so we can just take off for our flight from our hotel instead of worrying about driving back from where we are in time for our flight.

I will check out both places!

Thanks you
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 09:24 AM

Depends on your aim? If you are planning on seeing some of the Connemara, maybe Inis Mor trip or just exploring Galway then Galway would work. If your aim is the rush down to Dingle you might want to overnight in the other point of the 3D route Doolin.

There are better options but without knowing the overview its difficult to offer the best advice.
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 11:03 PM

Doolin maybe just what you are looking for, it is a small village with 4 great pubs, with live traditional music nightly. (Jan/Feb midweek there maybe a lack of music, but by the last weekend in February the Micho Russell Memorial Weekend, which is the highlight of the traditional Music calendar, kicks off the season here in Doolin.)

There is an abundance of castles, forts, ruins, ancient burial chambers in the area. You can also take the new Cliffs of Moher coastal hiking trail which starts in Doolin. Or take a trip to the Aran Islands with Doolin being the closest ferry crossing (Inis Oirr is 25 minutes) Boats run from mid/end of March to mid/end October.

Doolin Cave has the largest stalactite in the World on show and is well worth a visit. Doolin is also a great base to explore the Burren, if you are into hiking check out the Burren way, there are also some wonderful trails around Doolin.

If you are into outdoor activities there is horse riding, bouldering/rock climbing, surfing, sea kayaking, cycle routes and coastal and heritage trails, plus there are great local providers and experienced guides if need. Or take a splash down at the local pier with Dusty the Dolphin who has taken up residents over the last couple of years in Doolin.

You will find ample accommodation and places to eat.

Enjoy your break.
Anthony
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 12:20 AM

Perhaps some photos will help. See my blog post from our trip in 2011:

http://ukfrey.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/ireland.html
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Great Pictures!

I guess Doolin it is! Thanks for that great advice.
A friend of mine from home is swearing to go to Galway, but it sounds Galway is more citylike and since we will be spending time in Dublin, Paris and London, being in some countryside for a few days will be nice for a change!
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 11:01 AM

Galway is hardly a city on the lines of Dublin Paris and London. More of a large town.

You are landing in Dublin at 1pm from London then driving 3 1/2 hours to the Cliffs, Spending the next day somewhere close then driving 3 1/2 hours back to Dublin??

Why not use Shannon as one of your airports certainly coming in from London. Thats 1 hour from the cliffs for an hour on the way to Galway, Connemara Loop or Inis Mor tour. A good night in one of many bars and eateries before heading back to Dublin the next day via Clonmacnoise, Lockes Distillery or other places.

If you have to stay South of Galway on the coast then Kinvara gets my vote, followed by Ballyvaughan or maybe Fanore.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. We already have our flights paid for going into Dublin. I will look into seeing if they can be changed.

Thanks!
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Tony2phones- if we drive from the airport to an area in the connemara loop, (any suggestions there?) stay the night, and drive through the loop the next day to the cliffs, then to dublin...does that seem to make more sense?

Thanks!!
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 03:20 PM

You could consider Spiddal (Tua Beag B*B) or Oughterard (no recommendations sorry) both about 10 miles west of Galway on different routes. You could do some of the Connemara loop/s from there but doing the loop and the Cliffs as a way back to Dublin the same day would be way too much. You need 2 nights in the west using the in-between day to explore and maybe do the Cliffs as part of the return trip http://ireland.activeboard.com/t5005...-galway-route/ & http://goo.gl/maps/iSQcB might give some ideas for the Connemara.